The Interview

• Dedicated to Myself

I stepped in to the lobby of the courthouse. It had a domed, glass ceiling. There were several brass fitted, wooden doors. I opened the door that read: Mayor's Office. A woman was sitting at a faux wood desk.

"How may I help you?" The woman asked.

"I'm here about the sheriff position." I said firmly, but surely.

"Bring them back to me, when you're finished" The woman said, handing me some papers.

I went back out to the lobby, and sat down on a bench. I knew that this was the right decision. My life of traveling was getting to me. I filled out the papers, and returned to the office. I handed the woman the paper. She glanced over them.

"Have a seat." She nodded

I pulled a chair, up to the desk.

"Let's see here - it says you're originally from Mie prefecture - You have extensive training in ninjutsu."

"Yep!" I nodded

"You do realize that we require your, full legal name?" The woman glared.

"That's it." I said half-heartedly

"Just Nishoma?" The woman asked

"It's customary in the village where came from, to give your child a one character name."

"Umm - what is the kanji for that - would you mind showing me?"

"ahh - yeah!" I didn't know what to do. I knew it was a complete lie, but it was one I was use to telling. I never had anyone asked for a kanji, before. I grabbed some paper, and a pen from the desk. I scribbled some rough lines.

"Here" I said, handing her the paper.

The woman nodded her head. She stood up, and extended her arm.

"Congratulations!" The woman said with a big smile. "You've got the job!"

I didn't know what to say. was it that easy?

"No one else applied - we need a sheriff." The woman said proudly.

"Thank You!" I said

"You'll be staying at Deputy Yoshikawa's house - just follow the trail behind the courthouse."

I turned to walk out the door. The woman spoke up I turned my head to look at her.

"This town, thanks you!" She said in a stern, but relieved voice.

I nodded my head, and left the office. I stood in the lobby - starring up at the glass ceiling.

My eyes gazed into the autumn sky. Five years - hard to believe. My moment of silence was interrupted by the opening of the courthouse door. A round, disgruntled looking, man wearing a suit came in; shaking his head. He stopped to open the office door, but turned around.

"Who are you? You're not from around here - are you?" The man asked.

"My name is Nishoma - I'm the new sheriff." I replied

"Sheriff!" The man laughed. "It's suicide, kid!"

The office door flew open.

"Mayor, Takodan - Thank goodness your here - What's going on out there?" The office woman exclaimed with a worried look on her face.

"There's a lynch mob out there - I barely made it in here alive!" The the man said angrily.

The woman gasped "Why? What happened?"

"One of those thugs broke into Jim's house, and tried to kidknap the baby - they're headed out after Atara, right now!"

It was my duty as the new sheriff to put and end to this; once and for all...