Chapter 1

Clammy air clung to her skin, the smell of damp and mold burning into Lilly's nostrils.

Like swamp. Or a sewer.

Wet was leaking into her shoes, goosebumps racing up her body with the shiver. 

Squinting into the darkness ahead, she searched for that turn that had become oh so familiar…this route, and the person at the end.

Groaning echoed down the passage, increasing Lilly's sense of urgency. 

Someone was coming now.

 Allowing the shadows of the curve to hide her, leaning back, she waited until the man passed. Waiting, watching, then going the opposite direction he'd come.

As the footsteps and their echoes faded, she gradually hurried her steps. placing weight evenly on feet to avoid making noise.
Eventually the floor became dry, and  an old wooden door came into view.

Giving the lock a close inspection, reaching up to pull a bobby pin from her hair…..maybe she could pick the lock?

A blast of air suddenly ruptured the keyhole, making Lilly jump, startled, ready to run. Even after knowing who was really behind it, it never stopped scaring her.

The door flew open, revealing him

The person it had taken her years to finally stand face to face with. You couldn't hurry this process, trying didn't work. Time was difficult to manipulate, easier to play along the path it set. 

At her abrupt appearance, he stumbled, nearly falling back through the open doorway. But ready for it, she rushed forwards, bracing his arm to help steady him.

His eyes were glazed, and although the guy was awake and mostly coherent (seemingly) he still struggled standing fully on his feet. His muscles were shaking.

"Who are you?"

"I promise, you can trust me. I'm getting you out of here."

Just as suddenly as the dream had ended, Lilly came to in her own bed….her own apartment. As she knew she would be.

Safe.

Always the same dream most nights.

The dark tunnel. Hiding. Then him, every time. She'd try and manipulate the outcome, to see further but that tactic usually worked more when she was awake.

Blonde hair. Those blue eyes.

She didn't even attempt to understand it anymore.
 They didn't normally happen that way,  so far ahead, it really bugged her. 

Putting her hands over her face, Lilly felt ready to just go back to bed.

What day was it, anyways?

A short burst of birdsong coming from her bedside table made her jump.

Holy hell. Really?

Whining, she glared at her phone as if that would make it somehow shut up.

Pulling the covers back over her head, she gave a growl of complaint.
 As much as Lilly understood she needed to get up, she loved sleep way more (at least apart from those dreams….). 

But, the perpetual screaming of the bluejay was beginning to give her a headache, and she was hungry. 
So, in spite of her desire to continue to stay in bed, she dragged herself up to sit on the edge.

I live!

Ugh.

Picking it up off her nightstand and swiping DISMISS, Lilly noted the day.
 Oh. Yeah.