Chapter Twenty-Nine

Ben arrived at the university by bus, and ran across nearly half the campus before arriving at the main science building. Panting for breath, Ben entered the building and located the elevator to avoid taking the stairs. When he found the elevator, he slipped inside just as the doors were about to close, and crammed in with the other passengers.  

Ben generally avoided confined spaces, but he reached the top floor before his claustrophobia became an issue. Upon exiting the elevator, he walked at a brisk pace down the west wing where the science labs were located.  

Wearing safety goggles and a long white lab coat, Kyle was busy at work. When he saw Ben walk in, he stood up and removed his goggles. 

"Hey, man," Kyle said, wondering why Ben was there. 

"Hey, sorry to bother you, but I need to ask you something... actually I need to ask you two things." 

"Is everything okay?" 

"Everything is better than okay," Ben said, hardly being able to contain his joy. "Can we please go somewhere private. I promise I won't take up too much of your time." 

"Yeah, sure," Kyle said, leading the way to the usual storage room. "What's in the backpack?" 

"I'll explain later." 

They entered the supply room like they had done previously and as soon as the door closed, Ben began his inquiry. 

"What's your favourite football team?" Ben asked. 

"My favourite football team?" Kyle repeated in confusion. "You came all the way out here to ask me that?" 

"Just answer the question," Ben insisted. 

"The Stampeders, why?" 

"Are there any other sporting events other than the Grey Cup taking place this week where 'your team' is playing." 

"I don't think so."  

"Fantastic. Kyle, I happen to know with one-hundred percent certainty the outcome of the Grey Cup this weekend, and I plan to make a lot of money. Do you want me to tell you who wins?" Ben said with an ear-to-ear grin. 

"Is this another one of your scams, because you remember how that turned out for you the last time you tried to mess with fate." 

"What am I supposed to do with this information - nothing?" 

"I suggest you throw that book away. It doesn't do a person well to know their future in advance, and I think it will bring nothing but bad karma in your life." 

"You're wrong," Ben shot back. "What if instead of me trying to make a little bit of money on a sports bet, I came here and told you that you were going to be hit by a bus today? What should I do then, just let you die?" 

"If it's God's will, then I accept whatever fate He has chosen for me." 

"And what about me?" Ben retorted. "What's my fate? What if God placed this manuscript in my path for a reason - to save your life and to win some money to save our house from becoming foreclosed?" 

"Condemned." 

"Whatever." 

"If that were true, then I suspect it would likely be because God is testing you, to see if the book will corrupt you or if instead you avoid the evil temptation and do the right thing. I'd say right now, the evil part of your soul is dominating over the good part."  

"You 'suspect' that's God's will, but you really have no idea. Look, man, we need this money more than you even know." 

"What's that supposed to mean?" Kyle shot back. 

"Never mind." 

"Where are you even going to get the money to place the bet?" 

Without saying a word, Ben slipped his backpack off his shoulder, unzipped the main compartment, and held the bag open for Kyle to see. Kyle peered inside and saw the wads of cash bound together with rubber bands. 

"Ben, where did you get this money?" Kyle asked with great concern. 

"God gave it to me," Ben replied. "And He's going to give me a lot more." 

"Do whatever you're going to do, but keep me out of it." 

"I can't do that, Kyle, our fates are entwined." 

"You said you needed to ask me two things, what's the second thing?" 

"What's the name of your lab's main competitor - a Swiss company?" 

"Why do you want to know that?" 

"I just do. Are you going to tell me or shall I go down to the lab and start asking around." 

"I'm not really sure; labs aren't really in competition with each other." 

"Come on, man, think. What lab does similar work to your lab and is based out of Switzerland?" 

"The only one I can think of is Lucius Labs; they're a big pharmaceutical company based out of Switzerland." 

"And they're working on a cure for Alzheimer's disease?" 

"I seem to recall hearing something like that." 

"Alright, thanks," Ben said as he was about to walk away. 

"Wait, what's this about?" 

"Let's just say there's a bus heading your way."