Phase 2: Battleground, part 1

Comenzar desde el principio

"What did I expect," Zeman sneers. "You just can't have a rational conversation with the man who married that big-mouthed, ultraliberal Amiss bitch with all her shit about 'peace' and 'equality'."

Talking about Alexandra like this makes Havel's insides boil, but he doesn't show it on the outside. "Your mother should have taught you to speak only good about the dead," he remarks.

Zeman's grin widens as he realizes he hit his opponent's sensitive spot. "She only got what she deserved. In this world, you can't get far with her 'love and peace' attitude. She got a harsh, yet valuable lesson."

"I know you were the one who started to lynch her."

"How can you prove it?"

Havel looks Zeman dead in the eye. "I have a good gut feeling. Your bond with the Yeomen movement is kind of public secret - everyone knows about it, but they're too afraid to speak up. But I no longer want to be afraid. If you don't withdraw your crazy idea, I may start investigating your role in Alexandra's murder."

Zeman doesn't lose his ground. "I have a different deal," he says. "Even though your filthy Amiss wife is dead, you still have someone important to you. She already caused me too many problems and my people are getting ready to eliminate her once for good. I think she's something like your daughter-in-law."

"Zoya..." Havel whispers.

"I'm glad we both know who are we talking about. However. I can still withdraw my people whose task is to get rid of her, but I need one thing from you. The signature."

Jaroslav Havel cackles. "You are rather naive, Mr. Zeman. Zoya can take care of yourself. She already survived worse things than the attack of your hired guns."

Zeman raises his bushy eyebrows. "Are you really sure?"

"I would bet my life on her."

Returning to Ryan's house is even more painful than I thought

There isn't one thing inside that doesn't remind me of him. His scientific magazines scattered on the floor, giant stacks of chocolate bars in the pantry, his clothes on the coat-stand. I can't even enter his room - I'm not strong enough for it.

I have to reconcile with the feeling this house is now all mine. Ryan didn't forget to make me a second owner and he also made me the only heir of all his belongings - except the science lab in the basement which will be donated to several universities in DIANA.

It's almost he knew how will the whole thing end up.

Now, when Ryan is gone, I have to take care of the whole household by myself. I was never lazy when it comes to household chores, but now, I find it overwhelming. The automatic voice-activated system present in the whole house helps me with some things, but a lot of it is still up to me.

For a few days, I just do nothing. I use the food delivery from nearby restaurants so I don't have to cook and when I decide to get out of the bed, not even thinking about changing my pajamas, I spend the most of the day by watching TV or reading books without really focusing on the story.