He messed up every one of them. Every time he went through this, he messed up one thing or another. One time he had almost lost you completely—he couldn't have that. He remembered nursing you back to health. Fun for him, but not for you. He almost laughed at the memory. You were furious with him—that was one of the times you had everything figured out. You knew that once you were back in good health, things would start again.

And they did, they always did. He was worried about bringing in so many people this time, but it was more fun this way. You seemed to like them, too. It would be a problem if you got too attached to them, but he could always just start again. 

He didn't want to, though. Quince was so tired of trying again and again and again. He wanted you to just stay, like you were supposed to. He wanted to go see you now, in fact. If he moved too slowly, would you fall for someone else? If he moved to fast, you'd hate him. Maybe he could go find you now and he could begin making his feelings clearer.

He found you in a sitting room. You seemed tired—not physically, but mentally. He hated seeing you in such a state. You were bright and beautiful with all the energy in the world, but right now you looked exhausted by the events that had been happening around you. He spoke softly, "(y/n)?"

You looked up from your seat immediately; you were surprised. After you recognized him, you relaxed a bit, "Hi, Quince. What's up?"

"I just wanted to see how you were doing," He said with a smile as he took the chair beside yours. "Things have been a little crazy, huh?"

"They have been since I got here," you laughed out.

"I'm sorry about that," he nodded with real regret. "I wanted things to be better for you." You paused at his tone. He sounded mournful almost. You sat up to face him completely and rest a hand on his knee.

"Hey, don't be sad! It's not your fault and things certainly aren't all bad. I've been having a great time with everyone," you comforted. He brought his gaze up to meet yours and he smiled a sad smile.

"You're kind, (y/n). I just can't help but feel that I should be doing a better job. The higherups trust me to keep you guys in some semblance of order, after all."

"Do they?" you questioned, "because they seemed to have pretty vague rules. I don't think they care too much as long as we don't break any of them."

He contemplated your reasoning for a moment before replying. Being so close to him, you could really take in all of his features. He was angular, but not unappealingly so. While you looked at his hair and his face, your hand on him suddenly felt too invasive. You pulled it away and began to shift in your seat when Quince grabbed ahold of your hand with both of his. You let him.

"You're probably right," He was looking directly into your eyes. "I just wanted everything to be perfect. They trusted me with this job, and I feel like I'm doing awfully."

"You're not doing so bad," you smiled, trying to cheer him up. The hand he held tightly was brought up to his chest, both of you leaning in. "I think you're doing a great job. This isn't a group that really gets along, but we still manage to have a good time every now and then, and that's the point of it all, right? I mean, we even had a celebration. It's been fun."

Quince was gazing at you as he took in your words. You seemed to be speaking earnestly. He appreciated that about you—how honestly caring you were. It seemed to Quince that most people only cared about each other if there was something to gain. In his eyes, you were something different. You really cared. You were really that nice. It wasn't fake or constructed, this was who you were. At least...who you were to him. "You're a good girl, (y/n)," He spoke softly. He softly let go of your hand only to lift his hands to your face and hold you gently in place. You felt secure in his hold. "Thanks for being understanding. We have a long road ahead of us, but we can work together to be happy for as long as we can, right?"