7. Redemption Therapy

Start from the beginning

"First question, Mr. Holloway," she declared. "Your SanityScan results have diagnosed you with antisocial personality disorder, according to the list of symptoms matching criteria in the DSM-6. How did you react to the news of your diagnosis?"

Jack shrugged. "Just another day as a Psychwatch patient. If anything, the news of what I was finally made things interesting around here. It made me interesting around here."

"Next question. Have you ever considered taking the Hare Psychopathy Checklist evaluation?"

"Of course not. Whatever they tell you, I'm not a psychopath. A psychopath cares too much about detail and timing. I just need to get my job done, preferably fast."

"How would you describe your childhood?"

Jack paused for a moment. He glanced over at Nikki, making sure his ice-cold eyes met hers to feel the satisfaction of her intimidation. Once he had an answer, he leaned forward. "Let's just say it's not exactly one Miss Atkinson over here would be comfortable with. How old are you anyway, honey?"

"I'm eighteen, creep," Nikki replied, but her sheepish tone undermined the insult.

"Please leave Miss Atkinson out of this," Margo continued. "This interview is between you and me, Mr. Holloway."

"Then why the fuck is Mason looking over your shoulder?" Jack asked.

"To make sure you return to your quarters unscathed," Mason growled.

"Now, Mr. Holloway," Margo interrupted, "I'm gonna need you to gaze into these cards and tell me what you see. Nikki, please take note of his neural activity." Margo took a card in her hands and waited as the word RORSCHACH morphed into a crudely-shaped blob of black ink. "What do you see here?"

Jack leaned forward to gaze into this insignificant blot and give it a meaning. He knew how it worked anyway. What you see in the blot determined who you are inside. And his past already reminded him of what was going on inside.

Jack Holloway, called out a voice from his past. Another visit to the nurse's office? Didn't we already tell you to try and be peaceful with the other kids? Or...who's responsible for these bruises?

"I see a panda," Jack replied monotonously.

"Patient is feeling mildly frustrated," Nikki whispered.

Margo traded the card out for another one. "Next questions," Margo continued. "Do you feel empathy for other people?"

"Is it important that I do?" Jack asked back.

"Like when you're out in the city alongside your fellow Psychwatch officers. If one of them is in immense pain or under attack, do you care for their safety?"

Jack paused. "I don't see why I shouldn't. Someone out there would probably miss them if something bad happened to them."

"Next question. Do you comprehend the concept of love?"

"Looks interesting. But I'd need a reason to believe it's necessary."

"Do you believe you're better than other people?"

"As long as I have my own identity, I'll always be better. I ain't the kind of person to follow trends just to get noticed. I'm me. I'm not a fucking insecure lackey desperate for attention."

"Interesting responses," Margo replied with a nod. She activated the card's Rorschach blot. "Could you please tell me what you see here?"

The image was clear. He was fifteen years old. He stood in the backyard patio of one of his old schoolmates, holding a bloody mallet. Beside him lay the corpses of that student along with his dog.

"A little girl eating a lollipop," he replied.

Margo wasn't convinced. She decided to let him tell his lies just a little while longer. She placed down the card and took a final one from Nikki's deck. "Next question. What are your plans for the future?"

"The future?" Jack repeated. "Too broad. I just plan on living another day."

"Stemming off of that, where do you see yourself in ten years?"

"Probably waking up in my cell, taking more empathy meds, waiting for another mission or session."

"Why don't you see yourself somewhere else other than Psychwatch?"

"Because no one else does, either."

Margo cleared her throat. "Final question. Are there any other treatments you'd like to try out here at Psychwatch?"

"Yeah, the Empaths always ask me that last," Jack chuckled. "Unless you guys still offer Erase-and-Replace, I'll be fine without additional therapy."

"Mr. Holloway, I'm not sure if you're aware, but Erase-and-Replace was discontinued years ago given the side effects of replacing traumatic memories with false ones. Besides, you can grow stronger from your darker experiences, as callous as that may sound."

"Grow stronger, eh? Try telling that to all the teens who've committed suicide thinking someone's encouraging words were read off a script."

Margo paused again, partially regretting her choice of words. Jack's response reminded her of an unending dilemma Carl was trapped in when he briefly worked at the Suicide Hotline Crisis Center. He always had a soft spot for youth, but he eventually had to accept that not everyone could be saved. For every five to seven people he saved, there would always be one person who couldn't find the light at the end of the tunnel.

"Before we conclude our session," Margo continued as she held up the final Rorschach inkblot, one with a few splotches of red, "you know what I want you to do."

Jack took a final glimpse back into his past.

Don't remove the glass shards on your own, Holloway. The doctor will be here to stitch up your wounds. Painkillers will be prescribed, but you can only take them under staff supervision to avoid repeating your previous incident. You will also have your own private quarters, separated from your father's. Are we clear?

Thank you...

"Roses."

That was enough of that. "Why are you telling me responses you believe I want to hear?" Margo asked in frustration as she placed the cards face-down on the table. "You can't hide things from us, Mr. Holloway."

"Believe it or not, I haven't been hiding anything," Jack replied. "You just haven't been here long enough. Come back with your own scars and maybe I'll show you some more of mine."

"So this is all about an inability to relate, isn't it?"

"That is all for now, Sandoval," Mason ordered. "I'll take it from here. Maslow and Royce could probably use your assistance."

"What do I do with the notes, Miss?" Nikki asked.

"Send them to my office. You did a good job today. You and Sandoval are free to go."

While Nikki hurriedly rose from her chair toward the exit, Margo took some time to gather up the cards as her eyes met Jack's. This was the complete opposite of her previous Empath sessions. Her other patients consisted mainly of teenagers, most of whom willingly accepted aid and had a grip on their humanity, and even the one's who weren't as cooperative were still approachable. This Holloway individual, however, was completely apathetic. He had more in common with a serial killer than he did with a simple patient.

And the last glimpse she got of him was a cold, lifeless glare devoid of whatever charisma he had before.