five.

THE ANTIDOTE. open book
"and who is jasper hale"

 open book"and who is jasper hale"

•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•.•

VANESSA FOUND IT HARDER TO WAKE THE NEXT MORNING. A dark blanket of clouds hung in the sky blocking any light that tried to worm its way through. If it hadn't been for Bella's alarm beside her there was no way she would have gotten up in time. Charlie had left early for work that morning leaving the two girls to their own devices to get ready and head off to school. It was a drag for Vanessa, still tired from what felt like 20 minutes of sleep, but she knew it was simply because the previous day had exhausted her. Before getting dressed or even brushing her teeth she went down to the kitchen to start a strong pot of coffee that she hoped would be enough to get her through the day without falling asleep.

"You ready?" Vanessa asked Bella after the two girls had finished getting ready. The youngest sat on the counter nursing her cup of coffee in both hands, her lips on the rim of the glass as if she was afraid of being too far from its contents.

Bella bobbed her head. "Ready as I can be," She explained simply as she leaned against the doorway of the room. She was dead set on confronting Edward Cullen, she wanted...no she needed to know what his problem with her was. She had never dealt with anything that this in her entire life, and the fact that this guy who didn't know her and seemed to hate her for nothing was practically eating her alive. The girls locked up the house, while Vanessa filled her thermos up to the brim with the rest of the coffee from the pot, and together they made it towards the school.

"I'm gonna talk to him," Bella finally confessed as they pulled up to the lot. Vanessa turned her head lazily to look at her sister, her coffee still in her hands. She raised a brow in question but said nothing as she let Bella answer her silent inquiry. "Edward Cullen. I'm gonna find out what his problem is."

"You really think that's such a good idea?" Vanessa couldn't help but ask. While she would go to the edge of the Earth to protect and defend her sister she also couldn't deny that the look that Edward Cullen gave them in the previous day had chilled her to the bone. It was a look full of malice and. . . hunger. She knew that if Jasper hadn't shown up she would have tossed the first thing she could find right in Edwards' face, grabbed her sister, and made a run for it. Thinking of the honey-blonde haired boy only put a questioning smile on Vanessa's face. She wasn't sure what it was but the second she realized he was in the office with her she wasn't afraid of Edward anymore. Somewhere deep inside her mind, a subconscious thought, she knew that Edward wouldn't come close to her — not with Jasper standing behind her.

He was like this presence, this protector that loomed around her making her feel safe; warm. It was stupid, she shook the thought off immediately. Jasper Hale wasn't her protector, he wasn't her god-damned guardian angel and this wasn't some fairy tale novel she needed to stop acting like it was. Jasper Hale was just a hot teenage boy who went to the same high school, nothing would come of it. Maybe they'd date but as soon as graduation came around they'd be heading off on different paths and they would never see one another again so what was the point of it all.