5. Tripp By My Side

Start from the beginning

     At least it would give me an excuse to not hang around Tripp for the majority of the evening.

______

     I turned the page of my philosophy textbook, jamming out the song. All of the previous thoughts had been long forgotten, and entering the dorm undetected was easier than anticipated, leaving something akin to disappointment bubbling in my chest. As much as I tried denying it, I always wanted to hang out with Tripp.

     Because he was my best friend, and I was his, right?

     I squealed as someone's hand landed on my shoulder. Jolting, I tugged out my headphones and craned my neck back, spotting Tripp smiling down at me. Another flutter and -? Was that my breath catching in my throat? "Hey baby, dinner's ready. Take a break from all that studying."

     He left with a wink, my eyes tore away from his backside and over towards the digital clock resting gleefully on my desk; 7:46 p.m. I sighed, combing my hair back. At least I finally got through the sixth chapter, the small accomplishment simmering into a small dull because it was just six chapters. I made my way to where the food was, fist pumping the air when I got there.

     "Why are you so happy?" Tripp chuckled, looking at me with what could only be described as pure amusement. I didn't let it get to me though, it wasn't healthy for my heart or for the haywire of thoughts that my brain was currently infested with.

     I shrugged, "Maybe I'm just happy to see you. But really, the food smells great."

     I fell onto one of the chairs, groaning lowly as a relaxed sensation filled my body at the contact against the soft cushion. Wooden chairs were absolute hell, I'm convinced Satan tortures people on them. Tripp smiled at me as he slid a bowl of soup in front of me, hand reaching to pat my head.

     "That's good, and studies?" There was something about the way he asked. Normally, when others asked, I would simply brush the question off, because who asks about studies? But when it came to Tripp, I knew he was being serious.

     "Good! I got ahead just now for one of my classes. Thank God too, it's for philosophy and that class confuses the shit out of me." I stated with a groan, leaning down to scoop and gulp down a spoonful of soup. Tripp was a cooker, which was odd because he never cooked back in his house. That however, was most likely because he was a mommy's boy and she never let him do any work around the house. But here, he challenged himself and took up the hobby. He was surprisingly good at it but that was probably because I was terrible at cooking.

     "Hmm, that's good Logan. I'm already so proud of you." And that dull ache of the accomplishment before skyrocketed, because now it was suddenly so important. And I was so happy that he acknowledged it.

     We continued dinner with casual conversation. That was something I always liked about Tripp, there was no sense of trying with him, everything came naturally. "That's right," He paused. "I got invited to a party for this upcoming weekend. Wanna go?"

     I tilted my head to the side as his clear blue eyes pierced mine. That was another thing; he watched me a lot more than he did before. Or was that just my imagination? It was as if he was trying to read me, to memorize me. Most of the time his eyes were always on me, and for the most part I didn't mind.

     My eyes scanned his face. He had started growing a beard and it was covering his chin, traveling up his jawline and extending a bit down his neck. The tips of my fingers tingle and I found myself reaching out to press my hand against his cheek. His eyes scanned mine for a second longer before he closed them, leaning into my touch. The hairs were soft, tickling the skin of my hand and as I moved my hand against his skin, traveling down until a comforting scratch itched at my palm.

     In the back of my mind I wondered how they would feel against my neck. My body heated up at the thought.

     I snapped my hand back, laughing awkwardly under my breath. His eyebrows furrowed in confusion as he opened his eyes. My chest tightened at the glint of something akin to sadness or pain in his eyes. Why would he be in pain? If anything, he should be questioning my actions. I had never done anything like that before.

     Not with Tripp, and not with anybody.

     "Sorry about that, I haven't been getting much sleep." I scratched the back of my head as the lame excuse left my mouth. The truth was I didn't know what was wrong with me. But the lack of sleep could be a factor for my change in personality and attitude towards Tripp. Then again, maybe it was also because of all of the inappropriate thoughts and dreams I had of Tripp.

     They all started out the same, in his room, because that's usually the place where we were most connected. But then things escalated. Sometimes we would just be cuddling and small touches increased into more heated ones. Other times, I would be drinking - because Tripp hates the taste of alcohol, and somewhere along the way I would find myself sitting on Tripp's lap-

     I jolted back when I felt his hand on my neck, our eyes clashed again as I looked up. "You haven't been getting sleep?"

     I nodded to his question making him frown and pull back. With child-like determination, he pushed the bowl of soup towards me as he turned back to his own bowl. "Finish eating. Tonight it is my mission to get you to sleep."

     The voicing of his mission made me grin widely, my chest fluttering at the prospect of sleeping next to Tripp like old times. I nodded my head slowly, returning my attention to my bowl of soup.

     I didn't know what was wrong with me. But if I had Tripp next to me, I'm sure I could get through it.

><><><><><

//SCreeCHes//

<3