Chapter Seven

Beginne am Anfang

"What is your point?" Logan practically growled at me. I responded with a sly smile.

You know those people who can never come up with a good retort when they're angry? Yeah, that's not me at all. In fact, when I get angry I have to stop myself from saying some really nasty things that come to my mind. My sister once said I don't respect the rules of bickering (apparently, there are some) by pulling out stuff that is completely irrelevant to the argument. She might have said that this one time when I borrowed her shorts without asking, and when she confronted me about it, I said I took them because she'd gained weight so they didn't fit her anyway. And I didn't even think that she got fatter! I just said so to defend myself but I ended up hurting Lena. She left my room crying and wouldn't talk to me for three straight hours (which for her is a record). I can't help it. It's like being mean is my default setting. When I want to make somebody suffer, my mind comes up with the most vicious ideas.

"My little brother's birthday party is tomorrow," I drawled, "And he's doing the Avengers theme. So I thought, it would be extremely cool if Captain America showed up, don't you think?"

"You want me to dress up as Captain America," Logan said flatly.

"Well, since you're volunteering…" I grinned.

"What if I say no?" he asked belligerently, as if there existed an actual possibility of me not getting my way.

"Well," I pondered, playing with my fingers, "Then I might mention to Brian that Captain America had better plans for the night than his party. And my dad hates seeing Brian upset. I mean, he's the only son in the family."

Logan grimaced and opened his mouth, but before he said anything I threatened, "Don't force me to play the slave card. I'm asking nicely right now."

He sighed. "Okay, I'll do it. But you're getting the costume."

I think at this point, we both understood that I had him wrapped around my finger and, unless he wanted to get in trouble with either my sister or my dad, he couldn't do anything about it.

"Great!" I clasped my hands. "The party starts at six but you should come half an hour earlier so you can get into your suit, Cap."

I rented the costume right before I got the cake from the bakery. I was surprised that they actually had an adult costume of Captain America at the rental. And it looked very professional too - it had the cap, shield, gloves and even the belt.

"This is an officially licensed Avengers costume," the clerk told me, wrapping it with so much reverence, one could think it was Steve Roger's authentic suit. And it was priced like one, too. Although, there wasn't a price I wouldn't pay for Brian's happiness. And Logan's humiliation.

➳♥

On Thursday evening, 6:30 sharp, there was a doorbell and I rushed to open the doors for Logan. His punctuality was admirable, although I suspected it was the result of the football trainings discipline. And it was the Coach's house after all.

"Oh my god! Are you Steve Rogers?" I chirped. "It's so nice to welcome you to my humble abode."

Logan winced like he was about to walk into the lion's den. "Hi, Melanie," he welcomed me, stepping over the threshold. Once in, he kept shooting nervous glances, as if he was expecting something evil to jump out of nowhere and go for his balls.

"Don't worry," I said. "Dad went to the shop. Not enough gummy bears or so I’ve heard." That calmed Logan down a bit. "Common, let's go upstairs. Your costume is in my room."

On our way, we had to make a stop at the kitchen where my mom and Lena were preparing party snacks.

"Mom, you know Logan Perry, right? He's helping me today with that surprise I have for Brian."