The little sage and the fish

The sun was setting as the waves calmly met their end at the shore. On the lonely beach sat a girl who was silently observing them, yet seeming to gaze somewhere beyond them.

That day had been another peaceful one, just like how she was always used to. At the end of each of them she'd stop and meditate about its events, while also not forgetting to analyze the tides; whether a storm was coming, or even a ship. That was rarely the case on her small little land, so she always tiredly looked ahead, possibly daydreaming.

Her moments of quietness were suddenly interrupted by a fish being brought to shore. She blankly looked at it for a few seconds until quickly realizing that wasn't supposed to happen. Letting out confused noises, she quickly encased the small animal into a bubble to ensure its safety. Doing so, she could take a better look, noticing one crucial detail about it: the fish was injured, seemingly not being able to swim properly, and was a very pleasant color of purple. Of course, without a second thought she lent a bit of her energy so it could feel better the next the day.

Luckily, her beach cottage was fairly close, so she wouldn't have to put in a lot of effort into keeping the bubble intact. Hurriedly running to her destination, she found that she had a bit of a hard time getting there without exhausting herself almost completely. Nudging the door with her elbow, it immediately opened as she always left it unlocked. That eased her worries a lot, since she could quickly put the fish in the spare bowl she had laying around. After that, she curiously gazed at it attempt to swim, carefully taking note of other smaller details. Before she knew it, the sun had already set; she had no clue how time could possibly pass by so fast just by staring at a fish, but never mind that. It was time she went to bed and ended the day.

Falling asleep was an easy feat for her, since she was very easily drained after using magic. Sometimes, she wonders... if there was no magic to use, how many sleepless nights would she have gone through? With thoughts like these she falls into slumber, off into a dreamland only she knows of.

~

The sound of seagulls woke her up gently, making her slightly part her eyelids only to be welcomed by the friendly rays of the sun. The instant she did that, she wanted to go back to sleep, but a certain thought was tugging at her mind; the fish she had rescued yesterday was probably still in the bowl. It must have healed by now, so she got up to check on it. For the first time in a long while, she actually left her room excitedly.

Getting to her destination, the fish was as still as ever, as if staring at her. She didn't hesitate to stare back, noticing in the mean time that it still had a few more cuts that hadn't healed yet. That wasn't supposed to happen, since she remembered the amount of energy she lent was fairly generous. Of course, she could always be wrong, as magic wasn't something she had to use very often.

She gently smiled at the fish, trying to instill comfort into it. Quietly promising to be back, she left outside to go on her morning stroll. Its purpose was mainly a patrolling one, but since nothing ever really happened she's learned to make a relaxing activity out of it. The sand was pleasant to step on as always, and the blue sea seemed to never have an end, no matter how far she stared into the horizon. Seagulls were calmly letting out their noises, as if predicting another day of peaceful quietness. She let out a relieved sigh, taking in the unique beauty that laid before her.

And also the two sailors who seemed to be heading straight towards her.

They appeared to be coming from the part closer to the town, and she figured they might be in need of something. She slowly started to walk in their direction, wishing to get it done as quickly as possible so she could resume her stroll. Such a turn of events unsettled her slightly, so it was only natural for her to wish so. Getting closer, she noticed that their clothes were unfamiliar; they must have come from a far away land.