Chapter 5

Picture of Charles

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

          When Franco returned freshly changed in casual clothes I snuck off to Dan's apartment building, the front door had a number keypad that the residents used and considering it was in a nice uptown neighborhood. I needed to blend in without stirring suspicions. It was a three-story building painted purely with a lining of similar gold color, but more yellow looking instead.

           I was behind a car that was parked in the street with other cars assembled watching the people coming and going. I was about to go up the porch steps until I noticed the camera at the top right corner that was behind the keypad aiming towards the door, stepping back slowly I went back across the street planning to get into a disguise once I had the right materials.

           When I arrived at the hospital after I grabbed a bite to eat Franco was asleep on the chair with a book in his hands, reaching over I closed the short stories horror book placing it on the nightstand grabbing a blanket at the end of Aubrey's bed I gently placed it on Franco. Watching them peacefully sleeping I smiled glad to have these people in my lives, 

            Six years of spending my life here without a single regret with how I got to be their friends, but with Aubrey I broke every promise to them. I still cared for them, despite our differences with us being together there remained a place for them as friends. 

          I looked out the window watching the sun shining through particles of the darkening clouds appearing to look darker than what it actually was. Hearing a soft knock I turned to see it was Benjamin, "May I come in?" He asked with a soft grin.

          "Actually, let's step out," I said taking off my sweater and slinging it over my arm while I adjusted the messenger bag over my shoulder.

           Resting a hand on his shoulder while I guided him out the room I nodded to the officer standing beside the door as we went into the waiting room that was a few feet away, taking a seat I sighed rubbing the nape of my neck.

           "You're running on fumes, go home take a nap. I'll keep watch of Ms. Smith and Franco." I shook my head refusing the offer despite the food keeping me up and running the entire time was being on my feet using my abilities to practical dart around the city.

            "They need me, the last time I thought they were safe...I got a call that they're in the hospital." The fear of leaving was eating me alive screaming that I needed to be here with them, that whoever did this wasn't done.

            Benjamin stared for a moment before flickering to the people around the waiting the room, staring at the room the memories of the kid that was in the hospital all those years ago had parents worried, their glares told me that they saw me as an abomination a dog that needs to be put down. 

           Now it was the other way around, my own friend was in that room a coma until they're healed and then there came the consequences of what damages of physical therapy they will have to attend too. The hospital smelled of cleaning supplies with a bleak smell it was unsettling too, but to watch many doctors and nurses coming in going made me imagine their lives.

            Settling my head on Benjamin's shoulder I focused on the big round clock in the middle of the room ticking away, with the red hand moving per-second; gradually the lid of my eyes grew heavy, hypnotized with every shift. Finally, drifting off to sleep the environment muted allowing a throng of peacefulness.

            Stretching the compressed position I was sleeping in I shifted in the seat, but when the armrest started stabbing into my side. I rubbed the corner of my eyes, dusting the crust off while blinking to regain the heavy-lid vision I was receiving, looking around I was alone in the waiting room the officer at the door wasn't there while I hugged a coat I realized that the vanilla coaxing scent belonged to Benjamin.