T H I R T E E N

based off 11.21
all in the family

~*~

     "What the hell's going on here, exactly?" Dean asked. 

     "I'm happy to... fill in the blanks, but maybe we should go somewhere where we could actually sit down," Chuck said with a slight nod. 

     "We're not going anywhere with you. Okay, how do we even know that you're really Chuck and not just some-" Chuck snapped his fingers, the four of them suddenly in the bunker, "-crazy spell or manifest...ation." Kevin Tran popped out from behind Chuck, a small smile on his face. 

     "Kevin?

     "Guys! You're looking stressed," Kevin said, then looked at Dean. "Especially you. I-It's cool. Trust Chuck. Whatever it is he needs you to do, he must think you can handle it. I always trusted you." 

     "Yeah, that ended well," Dean remarked. 

     "How did you – Are you okay, or – uh?" Sam asked quickly. 

     "Um... Yeah, I mean, you know, given the circumstances," Kevin said looking down at himself. 

     "Yeah, I don't mean to interrupt. Kind of a plateful here. And, Kevin... you've been in the Veil long enough. It's time you had an upgrade," Chuck told him. He waved his hand in front of Kevin, transforming him into his soul. It ascended, going up through the ceiling. 

     "Holy crap," Dean stated. 

     "Want me to get you a beer?" Juno asked looking up at Dean. 

     "Yeah, that'd be great," Dean said. Juno smiled at Chuck, walking out of the room towards the kitchen. She grabbed two beers, then turned and walked out to the war room. She handed a beer to Dean as he uncapped it immediately. 

     "Okay. So, wow, um, Chuck – Well, I guess we don't call you that, huh?" Sam asked. 

     "I prefer it," Chuck said with a nod. 

     "Okay, uh, 'Chuck' it is," Sam said with a sigh. "I'm sorry. You're gonna have to, uh, give Dean and me a moment to start to process. We didn't even know you were around. I mean, we knew about Chuck, but we just didn't know about... Chuck. I mean, I-I-I was hoping you were around. I-I-I prayed and I- but I don't know if they got, uh, lost in the spam or if—" 

     "Sam?" Dean questioned. 

     "Yeah?" Sam asked looking back at him. 

     "Babbling," Juno told him. 

     "Okay," Sam nodded. 

     "I'm getting that not everyone's totally on board," Chuck said looking at Dean. 

     "Here's the thing, um...Chuck..." Dean said hesitantly. "And I mean no disrespect. Um... I'm guessing you came back to help with the Darkness, and that's great. That's, you know – It's fantastic. Um, but you've been gone a – a... long, long time. And there's so much crap that has gone down on the Earth for thousands of years. I mean, plagues and wars, slaughters. And you were, I don't know, writing books, going to fan conventions. Were you even aware, o-or did you j     "I was aware, Dean," Chuck told him sadly. 

     "But you did nothing. And, again, I-I'm not trying to piss you off. You know, I don't want to turn into a pillar of salt," Dean argued. 

     "I actually... didn't do that," Chuck said. 

     "Okay. People – People pray to you. People build churches for you. They fight wars in your name, and you did nothing," Dean said as tears were beginning to well.