𝟎𝟓

❝it's ironic, isn't it? how hope keeps us going just to kill us in the end

❝it's ironic, isn't it? how hope keeps us going just to kill us in the end.❞

A cold wind blew threw my hair as I readjusted my backpack on my shoulders. My black sweatpants (they belonged to Dallas Winston, I'll admit) kept my legs warm from the cold weather. I pulled the hood of my Levi's sweatshirt over my head as I continued on my way home from school.

Ponyboy would usually be with me, but I had to stay behind for basketball practice. Basketball was the only sport I truly enjoyed playing, and our practices were two hours long, so I stayed at the school until 4:30 on a typical practice day.

As I continued on my way, I suddenly heard a shrill voice shout, "Help! Anyone, help me!" I could recognize that voice anywhere. It belonged to Johnny.

I ran towards the direction of his voice, where some stupid Socs had him pinned up against a chain link fence. They hadn't done anything to him yet, and before they could, I ran up to the group of them.

"Stop!" I screamed as I ran in front of my friend. Johnny turned to look at me, and so did those damn Socs. They pushed Johnny further into the chain link fence, and I stepped in to protect him. I was scared, and without thinking, made a big decision. I still don't regret it, though.

One of the Socs turned to me, and I recognized him as Bob Sheldon. "And what do you want, greaser girly?" he asked, clearly drunk. I stood up to him and his friend, Randy, turned to me as well.

"You leave Johnny alone, and you can beat me up all you want." I spoke up, moving closer to Bob. Johnny's head quickly snapped towards me, and he looked even more terrified than before. Bob and Randy exchanged glances before smirking evilly.

"No... Log..." Johnny began to speak, but I cut him off. Bob and Randy came towards me, and I insisted on Johnny getting out of there.

"Go to my house! I'll be okay, just run!" I shouted, and reluctantly, Johnny took off. I could tell he didn't want to leave me to get jumped, but I did it voluntarily. Johnny Cade already had to deal with enough at home, and a beating from the Socials wouldn't help.

Randy charged towards me with a switchblade, and Bob has multiple rings on his fingers. Bob Sheldon pushed me into the chain link fence, and I knew that none of my gang members would reach me in time. I was still a good distance from our house; 20 minutes running takes a lot out of you. Especially Johnny Cade. If it was Ponyboy, he'd probably be able to get to our house in five minutes, but Johnny, with all the injuries he receives on a day-to-day basis, probably couldn't run very fast.

Without any warning, Bob punched me in the face, and hit me directly in my eye. Next thing I knew, I was down on the ground with Randy on top of me. He slashed my stomach with his switchblade multiple times, and boy, were the gashes deep. Bob kept hitting my face, and after awhile of doing that, cut my already bruised skin with his rings. After what seemed like forever, they finally ran off.