Accidents Happen

My jaw dropped. What was Damon doing here? My day seemed so perfect until he showed up. He stared at me. Just looking at how beautiful I looked that evening. "I love you too, Elena," he said slowly and gently. I watched him just stand there looking nervous and waiting on an answer from me. I didn't know how to answer. I was still in love with Stefan. I stepped forward to where we were only a few feet away. He stared at me with wide eyes. I walked down the steps being careful not to fall. Until my heel hit the last step everything seemed great. I slipped down the remaining steps falling to Damon's feet. He called my name "Elena, Elena?" Repeatedly I heard him. Then everything went black.

I woke up on my couch. Surrounding me were the 3 boys I loved the most. Jeremy, Stefan, and Damon. Panicked, I sat up flailing my arms into Stefan's. Caroline walked in with tea followed by Bonnie with blankets. I smiled when I saw them. Stefan was saying something to everyone but I couldn't understand. Slowly everyone walked out front leaving Stefan here with me. He laid me back down, so he could have a spot to sit next to me. He sighed. I sat up again so I could grab his hand. "What's wrong, Stefan?" I asked politely incase he didn't want to talk about it. "Be honest," he started to say. "Do you have feelings for Damon, Elena?" I took a second to answer. "No... I don't know, maybe?" Stefan looked at me with loving eyes. "It's ok Elena," he said softly. "I just need to know how you feel. "But what if I don't know how I feel, Stefan?" I replied quickly and sadly. "You're afraid to admit it to yourself, but you don't have to be. I'll love you no matter what Elena." When Stefan talked to me I didn't feel stressed about making a decision. He really made me feel safe to tell him how I felt. Without hearing my answer he got up and said, "I'm going to go get Damon." I simply nodded.

Damon walked into the room looking at me like I was crazy. "Are you insane?" He asked in a firm voice. Standing up so that I was right in front of him I said, "No, Damon Salvatore, I love you." He widened his eyes. "Elena" he said under his breath. I took one step closer to him being careful not to fall again. Before I could say anything else he kissed my forehead letting me know he was happy. His hands were wrapped around my waist and mine were around his neck. I got up on my toes to kiss him, but before I could Caroline came barging in. "Elena?" She said questioning what she saw. I released Damon's neck and he released my waist so we were standing right next to each other. "We need to leave, Elena," Caroline told me. Without giving me a chance to answer she grabbed my wrist and put me in the front seat of her car where Bonnie was waiting.

"What's going on?" I asked Caroline and Bonnie. She looked at me and said, "No time to explain! Here drink this!" She handed me a small container of blood. "What is this?" I asked. "It's Stefan's blood just drink it!" I was confused but I drank it anyway. I cringed at the taste of it. If only I wasn't so wrapped up in Damon I would understand what was going on. "Damon!!" I yelled. "He's fine Elena, he's with Stefan. We were going over Wickery bridge when Caroline saw a figure in the road. She swerved out of the way and drove over the bridge into the water.

Seconds later I was brought back memories of my mom and dad. This was the exact way they died. Caroline broke through the window of the car since she had vampire strength. She looked at me and at Bonnie who was unconscious. I pointed back at Bonnie. She deserved a happier life than I did. Everywhere I went death followed. Unable to move, I sat there watching Caroline save Bonnie. By the time she came back, it was too late.

I breathed deeply and sat up on the table I was on in the hospital. Wondering how I was alive I looked around the room only to find Caroline. When she saw me awake she ran to me and hugged me. "What's going on?" I asked eager for an answer. "We were being chased. People know about the vampires in Mystic falls we had to get out of there. They believed you were a vampire and they wanted you dead. Someone was in the road on Wickery bridge. I.. I tried to avoid them, Elena, but I drove into the water almost killing you and Bonnie." Caroline started to cry. "Why are you so upset Caroline? I'm ok and so is Bonnie." Caroline frowned crying harder, "You're a vampire, Elena. And it's all my fault."

I stared at her not believing this was true. "Where's Stefan?" "He's at his house with Jeremy and Damon." She answered calmly. After a few minutes of begging I convinced Caroline to take me to him. "I thought you might want this," Caroline said as she handed me my diary. "Thanks Caroline," I said and I started to write.

Dear diary,
I finally got what I thought was right. Damon. Until we had to leave. Now I'm a vampire. I'm thirsty! I don't understand the sun is hurting me. And I feel so many different things right now. If only Stefan was here.
~Elena

We pulled up and Caroline ran me inside so I wouldn't burn. Bonnie was making me a daylight ring inside. Stefan was sitting on the couch looking worried. I didn't know where Damon was, but I wanted to see him. I ran over to Stefan and snuggled up under his arms and started to cry. "Why did this have to happen?" I asked "Everything finally seemed right." He got up and went to his fridge. He came back over with a blood bag. I happily took it and drank it in less than a minute. "I want more" I said. "Elena, you have to limit yourself." He told me. I looked at him upset until Bonnie walked over with a my daylight ring. I accepted it and then Stefan took me to hunt... for animal blood.

It seemed like a week had passed and I still hadn't seen or heard from Damon. I decided to call him.

Damon?
Elena?
I'm at the Salvatore boarding house.
Where are you?
I've been looking everywhere for
you! I'm on my way.

"He's coming!" I told Stefan in a excited voice. "He's coming." I said again in a sad voice. "He's coming."I said as I started to cry. I hugged Stefan and didn't let go until we heard a knock at the door.

I went to answer the door, but then the door opened and Damon walked right in. I grabbed him and pulled him close making him hug me back. "I can't do it" I yelled. Damon looked down at me confused. Stefan looked over at the two of us and mouthed the word vampire to Damon. Damon grabbed my arms pushing me back without letting go. He stared into my eyes looking worried. "Am I going to be ok?" I asked him. "With time." He told me in a deep concerned voice.