☆ t h r e e ☆

Start from the beginning

Adora rolled her eyes but was still concerned. This wasn't the first fight Catra was in. She had seen Catra fight off a big brute back in the Horde with nothing but a chopstick once so it's not like she doubted her friends capabilities. What irked Adora was how quiet Catra was. It wasn't like her.

There was silence as Catra sorted through her things for a moment, Adora watching and waiting to see who would break the tension first. When no one seemed to budge, Adora decided it would have to be her responsibility.

"So you didn't come home last night."

"Do I need to run everything by you or something?"

Adora was taken aback by Catra's tone. "Well, no but it would've been nice to know. Shadow Weaver was pestering me all night and I was worried too."

"As if Shadow Weaver cares," Catra mumbled, then, seeing the look of concern on Adora's face, continued more softly, "I was at Scorpia's. Alright? She offered me a ride after the fight and I fell asleep on her couch."

Adora nodded, certain there was more to the story but not wanting to press her. "Well I'm glad she was able to help. What does her place look like anyways? I'm envisioning rainbows, like, everywhere. And one of those hang in there posters with the kitten in the tree."

Catra snickered at that. "Try that but with some punk sprinkled in between. Some band merch here and there, a sick electric keyboard- oh and the cat in the poster has gauges."

The two girls shared a laugh and for a moment they forgot about their issues with one another. But the mood wasn't destined to last.

"So, you up for some pre-game tacos like usual?" Catra asked. "The trucks are having a special today, buy one get two free for triple the price."

Oh man, Adora forgot she even had a game tonight. "Ok first off, that is not a deal and second off...what if we changed things up?"

"Changed things up?" Catra asked hesitantly. "Like what?"

"Like, I don't know, maybe...going to a milkshake place uptown with a group of friends." Adora sped through the last phrase so fast Catra almost didn't catch it. At this though, Catra crossed her arms and stared at Adora in suspicion.

"I wasn't aware we even had other friends."

"Well you see, I met these people at the meeting and they're really cool and I want you to meet them and I thought-"

Adora kept rambling but Catra wasn't really listening anymore. The meeting. She's talking about that stupid scholarship again?

Catra focused back on Adora who for some reason was now talking about a sword and some weird competition and someone called glitter. "Uh yeah," Catra cut her off, "I think I'll pass."

Adora stopped in surprise. "You'll...pass?"

"Yeah," Catra said coldly. "You can take the car or whatever. Scorpia lent me her bike so I'm set. I think I'll just hang with her until the game starts."

"But we always hang out before games," Adora said, not bothering to hide the hurt in her voice. "It's like our thing."

"You said you wanted to change things up." Catra shut her locker a little harder than she needed to. "I should go to class. The bell's gonna ring soon."

Adora wasn't about to let Catra get away that easy. As the latter girl spun around to head to math class, Adora grabbed her arm in an effort to buy more time.

"I thought you didn't even like hanging out with Scorpia. What's really going on Catra?"

Catra ripped her arm out of Adora's grasp. "I'm allowed to hang out with other people Adora. Just like you are." Catra walked away a bit faster this time.