Starting Over

Allow me to paint you a picture. The room is dark and you're lying in bed inches away from a window on the 4th floor. Your earphones are in and you're listening to Scrooge Syndrome by Unlike Pluto on repeat. 

There's an overwhelming calm that's eeriely inviting but comforting, and as the cold night air flows over your skin and chills your fingertips, life and time stops. The smiles and laughters of the day are no more as thoughts and memories suppressed now flows free, non-stop, yet somehow, your mind feels clear.

Your heart aches but there's a sense of hope, baseless, but hope none the less. You sit up, your feet on the window sill and though you're surrounded, you feel isolated, but though you feel alone, you smile, not wide but genuine. You look up, the stars are twinkling. Everything is calm, beautiful. The noise in your head slows and eventually calms.

A tear rolls down your cheek but you smile because though there's pain, there's hope. A baseless hope that doesn't seem logical, not hope none the less. In that moment you realize life will always knock you down, but sometimes you're only able to appreciate the beauty of the sky because though you're down at rock bottom, you see the sky.

Dust off and start again.