- 2 -

Eleanor Mae stands awkwardly as Mallory leaves her side and tackles Christen in a big hug

Eleanor Mae stands awkwardly as Mallory leaves her side and tackles Christen in a big hug. Rose wriggles out of Carli's hold and runs to Julie.

I've always wanted that. A little makeshift family. A little rascal to mentor.

When Eleanor Mae spots me her eyes light up but she bites her lips and her feet stay planted. I can see the wheels turning in her head.

I open my arms and motion her over. A hesitant smile breaks out on her face, and she walks into my embrace. I kinda got the vibe she wasn't used to physical affection, which was a crime in my book. "Welcome home, squirt," I say with a teasing smile.

She peaks her head up and looks at me with the biggest grin on her face. She loves that. Welcome home.

Tobin grabs Eleanor Mae's abandoned luggage. I release the tired teen. "How was your flight?"

"Good," she says absently and looks behind her. "Toby, I can carry it!"

I put an arm over her shoulders and lead her to the front of the airport where the rental cars are. "She's been going crazy without something to do. Let her feel useful," I say and wink.

Eleanor Mae laughs weakly. I catch the teenager glancing back. I internally sigh. Over attentive. Self conscious. She's fifteen years old and acts like it's her against the world and help always has a separate motive. Tobin says it's just my "mother's instinct" going into overdrive after not seeing her for weeks. Even so, that instinct never fails to tell me something's up.

Okay, technically it's never been tested, but I've heard it's never wrong.

"Thanks for coming and getting me," Eleanor Mae says, chewing on her sweatshirt string. "You really didn't have to."

"We wanted to," I insist, gently tugging the string from her teeth. "Everything went okay with your luggage? No issues, nothing missing?"

She shakes her head. "I've got—Ah!" She squeals.

In the blink of an eye, Mallory Pugh is leeched onto the high school student's back. "Mallory," Eleanor Mae squeals, readjusting the twenty-year-old on her back. Honestly, Mallory's age was questionable.

"I'm tired of walking," Mal whines.

"So I have to carry you?" With that, she lets go and Mal slides off of her.

Mal pouts. "Meanie."

Eleanor Mae pokes her tongue at her.

At this point, Tobin and the rest of the girls catch up.

"Mallory," Julie scolds. "Do you need to hold Mama C's hand?"

"No ma'am," Mal says having the decency to look sheepish.

Tobin chuckles and puts a hand over Mal's shoulders. "Not even five minutes on the ground, and you're already causing trouble," she teases. Eleanor looks at the two of them with an odd expression.

We manage to make it out of the airport and pile into the two Uber's that drove us here. By the time we get to the hotel, Eleanor Mae is knocked out cold.

Tobin gently nudges her. "We're here, kiddo."

Groggily, Eleanor Mae looks around and looks at Tobin. "I'm at camp?"

Tobin chuckles and nods. "Yes you are, come on." She looks at me and says, "Can you make sure she doesn't start napping on the sidewalk? I'm gonna grab her bags."

"Sure," I say and make my way to the other side of the car. "Come on, sweetheart." I help her out. She stands on the sidewalk, swaying sleepily. She leans against me, and my heart melts. "You're rooming with Mallory," I tell her, knowing that will make her happy.

"I am?" She lights up as much as she can in her jet lagged state.

I nod, chuckling. "You two are going to cause a lot of trouble, aren't you?"

She shakes her head. "Nope! Best behavior."

Tobin gets all of Eleanor Mae's luggage situated and motions for us to head inside. I pat the teenager who is still flush against me and joke, "You gonna be able to make it to your room?"

Without saying anything, she attempts to wrap her arms around my neck. I lean over so she can reach and pick her up. The three of us pile in an elevator and ride it up to the fifth floor. Most of the team is on the fifth floor.

I mouth to Tobin, "Is she asleep?" I turn so Tobin can see her face.

Tobin nods with a soft smile.

The elevator doors slide open, and we make our way down the hall. I read the room numbers until we reach the one matching her room key. Julie and her family are out grabbing something to eat. Mallory wouldn't shut up about tacos, so the troublesome duo's room is empty when we get there.

Tobin opens the door and squeezes Eleanor Mae's suitcase and duffel bags through the door. I follow close behind. I lay the fifteen-year-old on one of the beds and gently take off her shoes and socks. She, like any other normal human being, can't sleep with socks on. I tuck her underneath the covers and join Tobin at the door.

Just as we're about to leave. Eleanor Mae murmurs, "Thank you."

Tobin winks at me and says to her, "No problem, Ellie bear."

A/N: Awesome job reaching 15! This time it'll take 20 for the next update!