Chapter 10

Tobias’ P.O.V.

It’s about three or four in the morning when I hear my bed creak. I had let Ana stay the night, with myself sleeping on the floor of course.

I sit up and see Ana getting out of bed, tying her shoes. “Ana, what are you doing?” I ask, getting up and standing in front of her.

She doesn’t even acknowledge my existence. “Ana.” I say a little louder.

The same response.

She gets up, and walks out of my apartment and down the hall. I follow her and see every initiate walking in two straight lines. Silent except for the sound of footsteps, and they were all in time with each other.

Ana walks behind them, looking straight ahead like the rest. Like they weren’t in control of their own mind.

Two Dauntless guards standing at each side of the double door. They were fully aware as far as I could tell, why is it only the initiates and Ana? The other trainers weren’t with them. So I knew something had to be up.

I spot Tris on the edge, near the back of the line. Her eyes meet mine for a split second before continuing to walk in time with the rest. But her timing was off by half a second, so I knew that whatever was affecting the rest of them, wasn’t affecting her.

To play along and act like the rest of them, I walk in time and get in line beside Ana.

When all of us walk pass the guards, we turn left and into another long hallway, leading outside. What is even happening? Where was thing going to lead us? And what was it going to make us do?

Soon enough, I know where we are headed. Abnegation. But what I couldn’t figure out was, why are we here?

But no sooner than the thought had run through my mind, I hear gun shots. Abnegation falling dead left and right.

I see Eric and Tori up ahead, watching as mindless Dauntless initiates were killing innocent Abnegation people. Laughing at the sight.

As we pass, Eric stands in front of me. Blocking my path.

“They can hear and see us, they just aren’t processing everything the way we are. Mindless drones, slaves to the simulation.” Eric says smiling, waving his hand in front of my face.

It was the serum they gave us. That’s why Ana didn’t respond to me this morning, her mind wasn’t her own.

I stay as still as possible as he walks away, but I accidentally let out a cough. He turns on his heel, walking back to me. “Why are you awake?”

As fast as possible I lift up the automatic gun I had hanging over my shoulder and hold it to his chest.

”You won’t shoot.” Eric smirks.

”Try me.”

Tris breaks from the line; lifting up her gun as well, aiming for Eric.

”Two little Divergents. I would never have guessed.” Eric laughs.

”End the simulation. Now.” I demand, pressing the gun into his skin.

”I’m not in charge of that. I’m just one of the supervisors.”

”Who is in charge Eric?”

”Like I would tell you.” Eric snickers.

”I’ll shoot. Don’t doubt me.”

”I’d rather die then betray my faction.”

”That can be arranged." He stays silent. "Just tell us Eric, it doesn’t have to end like this.”