Chapter 5

Even now that me and Four. Excuse me, Tobias, were somewhat friends, didn’t mean he had a better chance with me. That will be something he’ll have to get over.

Tris is just absolutely horrid, I don’t know what it is about her, but I just don’t like her.

So now I was going to have to try a little harder to keep her and Tobias apart. I’d have to lead him on if you could say, to keep him away from her. I’m not Candor, so lying won’t be punishable by law. Feelings might be hurt, yeah, but I mean, it’s a risk I’m willing to take to keep them apart. I’m a devious little thing aren’t I? You’d swear I was Dauntless-born or something.

This week we were working on armory practice.

All of the initiates were doing well aiming at their targets, except the few that I had anticipated to fail. Tris, Christina, Myra, and Al.

I decided to make Tris jealous, so as Tobias was showing them how to properly hold the gun, I come up behind him, put my arms over his, my chin on his shoulder and lift up the gun a bit. “Thought you knew how to shoot Four?” I laugh a bit, fixing the gun in his hands.

“I thought I did too. But not in your opinion I guess.” He laughs too, turning his head to kiss my cheek. I just made Tris even more jealous and I didn’t even plan this. Score.

I blush slightly, but quickly regain my composure, pushing my emotions back.

But what I couldn’t figure out was, why did he do that? Is there some invisible Chemistry between us only he can sense? Am I giving him any signals unintentionally?

I was beginning to think too hard and my head starts to hurt, and the sound of shooting doesn’t help any either.

“Feeling okay Ana?” He asks me.

To add a bit of jealousy to this mix, I reach out and grab his hand, intertwining our fingers. “Yeah, I just have a headache. Think I’ll probably go lie down, but don’t let me sleep all day. Get me up in a few hours okay?”

“Can do.” He tells me, kissing my forehead before releasing my hand and sending me off.

A deep blush creeps up on my cheeks as I walk away, I could make this work to my advantage. And I notice in the corner of my vision Tris scowls at me, showing me, my plan was working perfectly.

I just had to keep my emotions in check, and not actually fall for him. That would be my ultimate downfall.

“How’s my girl?” Tobias asks, walking into my apartment to wake me up like I had asked.

“Better, but not completely. I guess I can just take a pill and power through the rest of today.” I laugh lightly, not moving my head too much.

“You didn’t correct me when I called you my girl. Are you out of it, or did you just not catch it?” He laughs a bit, sitting on the end of my bed. ”And by the way, you missed lunch, so I got you an apple so you wouldn’t be starving until dinner.”

I take it from his hand and take a bite. “Thanks. And I actually like that name.”

“No problem. And seriously Ana? You sure you’re all right? Because two days ago you hated me, and now we’re sort of a thing. Are you playing with me or something?” I choke a bit, but try my best to recover quickly.

“Yeah, I’m fine Tobias. And why would you think that? You don’t believe in a change of heart?”

“Not in Dauntless.”

“Then I guess I’m the rule to the exception.” I smirk, taking another bite.

“You sure that you only got an aptitude for just Dauntless?”