Chapter 1 : The Girl On The Bright Side

ARIA

"Aria it’s time to wake up.”

The voice of a woman interferes with the morning tranquility. The chirping of birds ceases, and their sweet melodies are replaced by the gentle sound of rollers and curtains sweeping open. Gleaming sunlight beams into the room through panes of glass, revealing a baby-pink styled room and a girl sleeping soundly on her bed.

The sunlight finds itself filtering through the Aria’s eyelids, disrupting her serene dream. Brows furrowed, she keeps her eyes closed, turning to one side in oblivion. Footsteps are heard as her mother Alicia walks across the wooden flooring to pick up a book, aimlessly spread open on Aria’s bedside table. She reads the title.

HUMANITY AND MANKIND.

“I’ve already told you to not read useless books like these, dear. Remember that Loguel is a country kept hidden from humans, so you won’t be running into them anytime soon.” Alicia begins flipping through the book. It smells musty — perhaps thousands of years old. She snaps the book closed.

“Also, don’t even think about trying to enter the human world. The government officials would most definitely come after you, and I don’t even want to think about how you would be punished.” She shudders at the thought, then carries the book outside the room. Just before she leaves, she turns around and warns her daughter once more.

“You’re going to be late.”

Immediately, the young girl’s eyes shot open. She glances over to the alarm clock, then looks back at her mother, only to see her exit the room. Aria softly mumbles the date, then does a double take on the time. Her heart skips a beat.

“My Llas Mid-Term is today!” Aria gasps. In one swift motion, she rips the bed sheets off her petite body and hurries out of bed. Grabbing her school uniform, she quickly showers and grooms her cloud-white hair into a ponytail.

Llas is otherwise known as “magic” to humans. She rehearses previously obtained knowledge in her head.
It is our life energy. The essence of our embodiment, being and soul. It is what makes us who we are.

Our body produces it naturally from oxygen and the food we consume. However, if it is overused, we’ll suffer from LDD, Llas Deficiency Disease, that will bring about guaranteed death. That’s why we are told to never — ever — use a spell higher than our current tier.

“My little angel is graduating Loguel Academy with the Top 30 class in two days as part of the Miracle Generation, yet she still cannot get to school on time.” Alicia sighs and places two slices of freshly buttered toast on a plate.

Aria hurries downstairs in short, quick steps.

“I’m leaving now!” Aria takes a slice of toast as she makes her way to the door and chucks on her shoes.

“Good luck, sweetheart.” Alicia calls out after her daughter.

The girl leaves the house on her bicycle, cycling herself to school.