Chapter 12

Excitement pumped through my veins as we walked through the door of Father David's church. The windows let in different colored light from the stained glass windows. The designs were the stations of the cross with Angels in every one. Wyatt was looking a little nervous as we walked down the aisle towards the front pew.  The old folks and young parents started to whisper, shocked to see the new kids in with the famous Tucker kid. Everyone was hushed as Travis began to play the organ. Yes, Travis did volunteer for the job, since his specialty was music. Who else would suit the job of playing music for the lord, than one of his very own Angels. Everyone stood up and began to sing the beginning hymn. I hummed along to the tune, since I didn't know the words.  The service was in full swing once Father David reached the front of the church. The little kids who were forced to come, all sat at the front of the alter as Father David told them a story. All of the adults and the few teens watched in amusement.

"I would like to call upon my very own niece, Harley Cash, to come and sing today's psalm." I was surprised, he didn't consult me on this at all the few times I had seen him around Sarah's house.  He waved for me to come up when I made no move. Wyatt slightly pushed me up to the front once I started to get up. I shot him a quick glare as I made my way to the front. Travis smiled reassuringly as I inhaled deeply. Everyone seemed to gasp once I hit the first note which was very high. My voice was flawless and light as I sang. My smile beamed as I looked around to see the whole congregation, including my friends, Father Davis, and Travis, all staring at me in shock.  As I hit the chorus, the choir behind me joined in, creating a light harmony.  Once I hit notes that were impossible for any human, the sun rays beamed brighter through the stained glass. Wyatt's stunned expression turned into one of pride, and joy as he looked up at me. When the psalm ended, everyone rose and began to clap.  I skipped all the way back to my seat by Wyatt. For the rest of the service, he had his arm wrapped firmly around my shoulder, so I was pressed against him. I love the sparks of electricity that were flowing through my skin where we touched.

This could be my whole life, sitting here with Wyatt. We could be saying our vows to each other at this very alter. We could be sitting listening to Father David talk about how go created the Earth while trying to hold our squirming children. I smiled at that thought, as I saw more of what our future could hold. Wyatt and I leading our strong pack to the top. Next thing I knew, Wyatt was ushering me out of the church, and to the flower garden that was behind it. "How did you do that? That was amazing!!'' He exclaimed. I just rolled my eyes, he was so easily impressed.

"Wyatt, baby that's the easiest thing us Angels do."

"I beg to differ there Shorty. The only person who might be close to singing that good would be dear old Gabriel. " Travis chuckled.

"So you think I'm old now?" Gabe asked as he came up from behind Travis, scaring the hell out of him.

"No sir. I didn't say such a thing."

"Really that was not what I heard." Gabe gave him a fake glare before he turned to me and smiled. "Baby girl, that was truly amazing. If I would have known how good of a singer you were, you might just have been in the choir at home." I scoffed. All of the choir Angels were always stuck up asses.

"No thanks." Was all I replied, causing the three of them to break out laughing. We drove home in a comfortable silence with the windows rolled down, and the hot summer breeze blasting our faces. When we got to the ranch, Wyatt held me down while everyone else hopped out. Sarah soon came rushing back out of the house with a basket in her hands. She gently placed it in the box of his pickup and started back for the house. I gave rose an eyebrow at Wyatt but he just shrugged. He started his truck and yelled out a thanks to Sarah for her help as we drove out. I could faintly here her say, "Anytime Wyatt." Since when were they on a first name basis? We drove until we came to the pasture that Wyatt and I had rode in when we had the horses. I smiled as he pulled me out and carried me bridal style up the hill with the basket hanging off his arm. He gently placed me against the tree trunk and laid out a red and white checkered picnic blanket. I hadn't noticed how hot it had gotten out already.

Wyatt seemed to read my mind as he scooped me back up and ran down to the stream. I squealed as we hit the cold water, though it was refreshing. When I came up for air, I saw Wyatt laughing at me. I splashed him, and he stopped immediately. "Oh so you wanna play it that way?"

"Hell ya baby. What are you waiting for?" He dove for me and pulled me down as he hit the water. The next few hours were filled with continuous horse play within the river. It had to be around two when we finally hopped out.  Wyatt raced to his truck, and grabbed me one of his shirts that were dry. I quickly pulled it on as he stripped from his own wet shirt. I couldn't help but admire how well built he was, and to think that he could be all mine. No, I had to stop thinking like that, he belonged to someone else, not me. I continued my internal debate 'till Wyatt was done setting up the food. He had a couple of fresh turkey sandwiches with mayo, sweet tea, strawberries. Once we were stuffed, we leaned back against the tree in the shade. I sat in between Wyatt's legs, while his back rested up against the sturdy oak. I played with his fingers while he closed his eyes for a quick nap. Eventually I got bored of his hands and fell asleep against his chest.  

*************

Don't forget to vote and or comment (: Falllen_Angel17