Chapter 33: Tears for Richard

Richard quickly started the detective's car as Gavin sat in the passenger's seat and without thinking, made a phone call to Tina.

RK900 put the vehicle in reverse and rammed the gas pedal as he pulled out of the curb and onto the street. He glanced at his frantic partner who was breathing heavily, "I promise to get us there in less than ten minutes," the machine reassured, "Try to stay in control," he pleaded in a worried tone.

"Just drive," Gavin barked, eyes filled with rage and fear.

"Hello?" Tina picked up the phone.

"He's on the roof," Gavin tugged at his bow tie, "His name's Scott, got it? I cuffed him to a pipe near the stairwell," he explained as he snapped the tie off of his neck. "God," he whispered to himself, "Can't fuckin' breathe," he threw the tie to the ground.

"Gavin, is that you?" Tina asked on the other end, "Are you alright? You sound terrified."

"Listen!" the brunet stomped his foot, "You need to take him in to central and I'll handle the rest. Just take him in."

"Huh?" Tina sounded confused, "What're you talking about?"

"Don't you understand? His name's Scott, he's at the mansion!" the detective yelled before feeling light-headed as he was on the verge of acute hyperventilation.

"Gavin, slow down," Officer Chen calmly articulated, "You're not making any sense. Start from the beginni—"

The brunet let out a frustrated groan, "Just listen to me! Go to Kamski's mansion and take the guy on the roof into custody!" he shouted, "Don't ask questions. Don't argue with me. Just do as I say!" he ended the call.

Richard's eyes went from the street to the panicked detective. He arched his brows as he monitored his counterpart's racing heart. "Detecti—"

"Don't," Gavin interrupted. "Just drive," he hissed.

The android had never seen his colleague reach this level of hysteria. He analyzed the detective's erratic breathing, pale features and trembling hands. Richard decided it be best to remain quiet so as to not further agitate the manic brunet.

Gavin reached for his transceiver and placed it closer to his lips, "Dispatch, this is Reed," he began, "Who called in the 10-31on Breyer Avenue?" he tried to maintain a professional cadence.

There was a pause.

"Dispatch! Who called it in?" the detective raised his voice.

"Getting that information now; standby," the voice over the radio replied.

"Fuck," Gavin tried to slow his breathing, "This can't be happening," he pinched the skin between his brows before shutting his eyes, "It can't be," he shook his head.

"We'll be there in a few minutes," Richard stated in an effort to relieve some stress.

The brunet turned to stare at his partner who was focusing on the road ahead. Several thoughts circulated in his head as he tried to string together a sentence. Just as he was about to open his mouth, the radio went off.
"Reed, it was an AP700 household android who phoned it in," the man over the transceiver noted, "He sounded distressed and mentioned something about the perp being armed so you and that RK900, watch yourselves," he warned.

Gavin swallowed hard, unable to prevent his hands from violently shaking. "10-69," he stated as sweat dripped off his brow, "Thanks," he ended the transmission.

The two remained mute as the car filled with tension. Richard couldn't help but try and soothe the brunet who seemed utterly shell-shocked by his situation. "He may be armed but so are we, Gavin" he placed a hand on his partner's thigh.