Prologue

The beginning of the end.

The making of the final record.

The final souvenir between the two exes. Ex best friends and ex boyfriends.

They were each others rock but rocks become pebbles. Pebbles get lost. Just like their love.

A lot can happen in the space of a year, what happened between Louis and Harry proved just that. Everyone could see how perfect they were, even though they didn't have the courage to come out and tell the world, they all knew. Maybe that was the problem.

Harry, Louis, Niall and Liam. They were what was left of One Direction, that band that almost every person on this planet has heard of. They were five people who loved each other, until one left. One was gone and that left a hole in each of them.

For Niall and Liam, that hole would be filled by each other, by love, by the people who love them. For the other two though, that's a completely different story. The hole in their hearts scarred them worse.

Louis' best friend, just gone. As a result, the hole him and his boyfriend then had would soon be filled by emptiness, arguments and loss of more people who said 'I love you' and meant it.

Unfortunately, they still had one last record on their contract, the quicker they made it. The quicker they were free of each other.

Today was the start. The first step down a long road. For all four of them this was going to be the hardest thing they've ever done.

They were all walking away from the ones they love, just so Harry and Louis can try to move on. Liam, Niall and all their families were now separate. They used to be one big family but now, they're back to being four.

This was the only thought going through Liam and Niall's hotel room the morning of their first day back at work. The two that still remained strong were also the only two able to be in a room with someone else, after everything Harry and Louis haven't let anybody in. Emotionally and physically, they're all alone but that's the way they wanted it.

Liam and Niall should be two people looking forward to their job, doing the thing they love and getting paid for it. Being able to provide for their families. But now, they were terrified.