Chapter Thirty-Seven: The right decision (Setekh)

A string of grisly murders around town were getting worse by the day as more random tourists and hikers were found dead with their bodies drained of blood. Clearly the vampires wanted to make us the prime suspects but we counteracted by covering our tracks around the town's perimeter and strengthening our outer defenses with patrols monitoring 24/7. But with graduation less than a day away, all of Heaven High students were gearing up for the big day. Once our exams were turned in and our yearbooks were passed out. I said farewell to my fellow seniors and left with Bane back to the safety and security of the compound.

Snow still lingered on the ground, causing me to have a gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach. That sometime before the moon reached its apex; the ground would be spilled with the blood of our enemies as well as members of my own pack. I threw the Jeep in park and stepped out, walking quickly with Bane right on my heels as we headed for my parents house, where my father was meeting with the patrol-guards and the first wave of defenders.

"Brothers and sisters, tonight we are on the eve of battle. An outside source close to our pack has incredible Intel that the vampires are building an army worth well over two hundred. And yes, before you all start to argue, we are outnumbered. But I have a few tricks up my sleeve that are being put into place as I speak. Now, I've taken the liberty of drawing up a map—"

"What about our families?" One of the warriors asked. "If the vampires break through our defenses, who will be there to protect them?"

Quite murmurs spread around the room like wildfire as I step forward. "Bane and I will."

And that's when everything went silent. My father barely said a word at first before he continued and showed the warriors were he planned to have them stationed before the fight while the patrol-guards ran along the property line, watching for any signs of backup. But when the meeting was over, it was over. I took Bane by the hand as I led him from my parent's house, towing him behind me until we were safe inside my house, away from prying ears.

"What's going on, Setekh?"

"I've made a decision. And it involves you hating me."

"What are you talking about?"

"I'm ordering you to leave, Bane. Tonight."

I sensed his emotions, his brow furrowed. It killed me for what I was asking him to do. But in order for me to fight and save my pack, I must send him away.

"What? No! You can't do that. We're married. We made a promise to each other that we would stand together no matter what life throws at us, including this war."

"I'm sorry. But I'm doing what I think is right. You may hate me right now, and that's fine. But as long as I know your safe and out of harm's way. I won't have to worry about watching out for you on the battlefield."

I closed my eyes then, taking a shallow breath as I heard the front door open and close and Bane's last words entering my mind. "You're a making a very big mistake, Setekh."

An engine was started, tires squealing as I listened outward until I couldn't hear him anymore. I prayed to the Wolf Mother that what I was doing was the right thing to do. Because even though he might hate me now, or for the new few hundred centuries, and that's okay, but my life would be shattered if he were killed and I wasn't there to protect him.

I went to the front door and stepped out onto the porch as I smelled the sickly sweet scent of exhaust fumes. Then a piece of movement caught my eye as I noticed a group of warriors and some patrol-guards make their way through the clearing into the woods. My father was amongst them, his thoughts connecting with mine as he elongated his fangs.

So I broke into a sprint as I headed into town where the wives and children quickly gathered together and said goodbye to their men. One by one they were each left alone with tears in their eyes as they made their way to the Sanctuary. Primarily one of the oldest and strongest buildings, the door is lined with steel and heavily modified to keep out even the most strongest of vampires from being able to enter. I also noticed that my own mother was among them as she hugged me tight and told me to be careful. But once she asked where Bane was, I opened my mouth to speak, when I heard my father's howl.

My body tensed, my blood boiled, my mouth watering for the taste of vampire flesh. I ordered my mother inside, instructing her to seal the door and to take the women and children into the basement and stay there until my father's return. I turned around and walked back to the center of the compound as I heard the fighting break out amongst the trees. I just hoped that whatever my father had planned for them was going to work in winning this war.

Come out and get some, you filthy bloodsucking parasites!

A twig snapped up ahead, my eyes scanning the first row of trees. More snow flakes continued to fall when it occurred to me that the vampires were using the cover of the storm to try and blind us, catch us off guard. An undead heartbeat grew louder as a pair of electric blue eyes pierced through the whiteout and came toward me. I snarled, my fangs elongated as I shifted into my true form. The vampire whose lips were stained with blood stopped in front of me as it tilted its head to one side.

My claws dug deep into the wet snow as I readied myself to charge at the enemy. In that moment, my thoughts turned to Bane, for I was glad that he was safe and not here. Now I could kill and not have to worry about looking over my shoulder. That's when I lunged at the vampire, without even thinking. The vampire tried to dodge to the side, but it was too late for him. My teeth painfully dug into his shoulder as the vampire thrashed around on the ground. I bit down even harder until a scream pierced through the air and blood filled my mouth.

His arm lay bitten off on the ground as he snarled and tried to take me down. He jumped to his feet, our bodies colliding in a tangled mess of limbs and fur as I came out on top and held him down as he lay flat on his back. I aimed for his neck, his cries were cut short as I tore off his head and threw it into a pile next to his arm and the rest of his body. I roared a war cry to my father and the rest of the pack that I had succeeded and would be joining them shortly.

I just hoped that wherever Bane is, he's not in some sort of trouble. Or isgearing up to do something crazy which would go against my orders as Alpha.Even if he is my mate. 

Author's Note: Hey guys! I'm back! Haha. So this is the first step in my new years resoultion which is to update and finish all my old stories, starting with this one! Enjoy it guys. Also, I've been thinking about the possibility of canceling The Billionaire's Mafia. But it hasn't been decided yet. However, if it does comes to that and they say 'Hey! I've got a great idea for it" or something like that and wants the story, let me know and its yours.