Chapter Fifteen: Old World Coven (Setekh)

The smell of dinner was definitely in the air by the time we walked through the front door of my parent's home. My senses so high, I noticed the familiar smell of Italian pasta with chicken parmesan and fresh breadsticks. But among the mouthwatering food, I detected the scent of very Old Blood. As my parents moved into the kitchen, putting the finale touches on the table, I took Bane by the hand and led him into the sitting room were members of the Old World Coven anxiously awaited our arrival.

Keeping Bane close to my side as best I could, Amelia smiled, the sliding doors closing behind us to keep my parents from listening in. Dmitri sat on the end of the couch with a quill in his hand and an ancient scroll in the other, ready to begin. Coloman positioned himself standing against the far wall next to the window that overlooked the courtyard. "Lady" sat motionless in a chair next to the fireplace, her slivery hair shimmering in the warm light. I held my breath as I waited for the meeting to get underway while I sensed "Lady" staring directly at Bane.

"Setekh. Welcome," Amelia said softly. "You're looking well."

"Honorable council, I take it you're here to meet the future leader of the pack?"

Amelia cocked her head to one side, her eyes flashing over to Coloman who said, "Among other things."

"Then get on with it." I said firmly.

"Patience young, Alpha." Amelia replied. "This is just business. We're simply here to lay eyes on the young man. We mean him no harm."

I didn't believe that, nor did I want to. And what do you know; the room became quiet once again except for the furious scratching of Dmitri's quill connecting with the ancient scroll. I glanced down at Bane who seemed transfixed on the small group of people in front of him. Yet little did he know that these people had been Overseer's of the supernatural world for centuries. As I allowed my senses to deepen, I listened in on his heart and was amazed to see how relaxed and elevated it was.

Amelia gracefully got to her feet as she made her way over to us, to Bane. But I wouldn't let that happen. I positioned Bane to stay behind me, shielding him from view of the other council members as I shifted into a defensive crouch and let out a warning growl. Amelia stopped mid-stride, her face showing no emotions as to my sudden change. However, it was "Lady" who proved to be unmoved as I felt a searing pain grip my skull.

The pain was so intense that I nearly blacked out. Blinking rapidly, a gentle brush of a hand firmly grabbed a hold of me as a dim figure cradled me with my head in its lap. Bane. I thought. Peering through the darkness, as the pain vanished as quickly as it began, I reached up and stroked his cheek. He looked down and gave me an assuring smile, while silently telling me that everything would be fine.

"Remarkable," Amelia whispered in awe of the situation. "The love and protectiveness that flows between you two is really quite something. I've never seen anything like it before."

I closed my eyes, my brain feeling normal again. "Would I ever lie to you?"

"Bane" Amelia replied. "Could you come here, please?"

Laying me down gently on the floor, he rose to his feet and walked the two steps toward her as she took his hand in her's as smile etched upon her lips followed by a gentle laugh that sounded almost musical. She walked around Bane in a slow circle, her eyes roaming up and down like a searchlight searching for anything out of the ordinary. That is, until she found the amulet that hanged around his neck from beneath his shirt.

"Where did you get this?"

"It was my mother's. I received it in the mail one day shortly after my parent's funeral."