That distant, bitter relative

Sorry, it took me a long time to update. Holidays. HAPPY NEW YEAR! I hope for good luck and prosperity for all of you in this coming year. 2019! Wow! Time flies.I'm not too proud of this chapter. It is also short. It was written in cars, on airplanes and in hotel rooms all on my phone. So I'm sorry.This chapter has a mention of an affair so if you're sensitive to that type of stuff, be warned. Alrightio! Happy Post Holidays! Enjoy!

Everyone around me reacted in different ways. Shock overcame the van. I felt my mouth open in shock, then close, then open again. I must have looked like a fish. My fellow spies didn't look any better. I saw Jawa open his mouth to say something, then close it. There were no words. How was Audrey related to Erica? Did Erica know? There were too many questions.

"How are-? What did-? Does she-?" Chip struggled for words, "You don't look like sisters."

Audrey smirked, enjoying our discomfort and confusion. "No kidding Sherlock."

Chip was still trying to wrap his tiny mind around this so he ignored the jab.

"How are you related to Erica? Or is it another Hale?" Zoe asked.

"It's another Hale. Just a crazy coincidence!" Audrey snapped sarcastically, but then smiled wickedly.

"I guess I'll tell you losers, since it's not really a secret and you'll find out anyway. I am a Hale, but not directly related to Erica." Audrey started. We wanted to hear the whole story, so we didn't interrupt.

"I am two years younger than Erica. I am related through Alexander. Alexander, two years after the birth of Erica, he had a mission and apparently had an affair with a women on the mission. If you ask him, he'll probably say it was for the purpose of the mission only. Don't believe that crap that comes out of his mouth. That women was my mom. My 'daddy' left me and my mom by ourselves. I doubt he knows I was born. When I was six, my mom and I moved to my uncle's farm because we were stone cold broke. My mom didn't know Alex was a spy, but I had a suspicion when I was older. I saw some of his old stuff my mom kept and it looked suspicious to me. Weird pictures and documents. My uncle taught me how to fight and how to shoot on the farm. I got so good, I competed in tournaments. That's where SPYDER found me. They gave me money and told me the truth about my father. At first, I didn't believe them, but they showed me a picture of Alexander and Erica. I could see myself in them. I was angry, so SPYDER gave me an opportunity to get revenge. I needed the money as well, so it was a perfect situation. I joined and moved up the ranks with SPYDER. They presented me the chance to be a mole in Spy School and I took the job. I could finally meet my sister and father. SPYDER came up with a plot that'll level Spy School to the ground. And all they needed was a mole. The whole plan is coming full circle."

We all stared in shock. I was at a loss for words. Luckily, Zoe wasn't.

"So what is the plan?" Zoe tried to sound innocent, but failed miserably.

Audrey grinned, "I am not that dumb."

Suddenly, the van started to move. If I was not strapped in, I would have fallen flat on my face.

"Where are we going?" I asked.

"You'll see." was Audrey's simple answer.

And we were off. My mind was racing. Apparently, Audrey was the product of an affair with Alexander and another women on a mission. And she was out for revenge.

But somethings were still nagging me about the whole thing.

"Does Erica know about you? Does Alexander?" I asked.

Audrey glanced at me, "I doubt Alexander even remembers my mom. Erica, how could she? You guys are the first I've told at Spy School. The whole reason I'm telling you is because you won't make it out of SPYDER's HQ alive." Wow, comforting.

"So where is Erica? Did you guys take her?" Mike spoke up.

Audrey actually started to laugh, "That was the best coincidence ever! SPYDER was trying to find a way to send us on a mission, but before that happened, Erica ran away, presenting the best opportunity! So, no, we didn't take her. I didn't talk to that idiot of a half-sister unless I needed too. I didn't want her somehow recognizing me. She wasn't my focus. I-" She suddenly cut herself off as her hand flew to her ear. Huh. I didn't realize she had an earpiece.

"Uh-huh. Yep. Okay. Yes, we have the materials. Are you kidding? No, alright. Bye." Audrey's hand removed itself from her ear.

"Sorry, guys, looks like this talk is over. I have direct orders from up top. Hate to do this to ya." Audrey smirked and that's all I saw because the guards inside the truck snuck behind us and snapped burlap bags over our heads. Strangled cries rang through the truck, but were quickly silenced by the unmistakable click of a gun.

The air around me was stuffy and smells gross. My throat suddenly became dry and I licked my parched lips. I couldn't get that much air into my lungs and started to panic. It didn't last long though because I felt a needle enter the back of my neck and a sleepy feeling washed over me as my eyelids started to close.

XXX

I awoke sometime later to hushed voices talking. We were still on the truck and even though I couldn't see, I could tell I was the only prisoner awake. They must have hit us with some strong sedative. I strained to hear the conversation which was between Audrey and a guard. I kept silent.

"Mr. E's pissed at you." The guard said.

"Surprise." She said sarcastically, "Not an uncommon occurrence. What'd I do this time?"

"You didn't answer or even acknowledge one of our notes. You know, SPYDER goes through a lot of trouble to send those things."

"What?" The confusion was clear in Audrey's voice, "I've always replied to the notes. Every single one of them. No matter how pointless they are. What'd the note say? Did you write Hale on it so if anyone found it they'd bland Erica?"

"Don't know, but I think it was congratulating you on finding the location of that manila folder. Yeah and they put Hale. Don't think it was too important. Big boss is just a little pissed, that's it. Jake told him to calm down."

Oh my god! The note! The folder! It makes sense now! Erica found the note, or maybe knew about it all along. She knew she wasn't supposed to receive the note and connected the dots to Audrey being the recipient. She probably could tell Audrey was a Hale. Erica must have been confused. She stole the folder before Audrey could get her hands on it and ran away so Audrey couldn't find her! No wonder she made me promise to not tell anyone. She was trying to protect me and herself and her plan. It makes sense now! But where is Erica now? And who's Jake?

"Oh shoot!" Audrey exclaimed, "I totally forgot about the folder! I knew where it was, but then someone else stole it. It slipped my mind when Erica disappeared and the new mission started."

"WHAT?" The guard yelled, "Someone else has the folder?! Who? We needed that!"

"Keep your panties on Dash! Relax! I don't think it's all that important now that the CIA authorized the mission and we have the hostages. But I'm fairly sure who has it now."

"Who?"

"Ripley."

Not the best chapter, must I admit, but after the whole holiday wave washes over, I'll update WAY more often. It's been almost a month. Sorry guys!