Chapter 24

Chapter 25

Juliana POV

Elizabeth still wasn't speaking to me. I had tried everything to convince her I hadn't talked to the gossip columns. Despite my protests I was still forced to attend this polo match. Elizabeth fluttered around like nothing had happened that week. She acted as if my mother wasn't drenched with worry for some unknown reason.

 "Juliana.”

 I turned to see Lilly. Her face was hidden by a wide brimmed hat, but I knew it was her. She held a glass of champagne in her gloved hands.

"I need to speak with you.”

"Of course, let's talk.”

She looped her arm with mine. I kept a smile on my face even though I was burning with anger inside. It was very loud at the match. The announcer bellowed and the sound of the ball being whacked made me jump each time.

Due to the noise I continued to lead her towards a shady oak tree. She leaned lazily against the tree.

"What do you think you are doing" I yelled. Lilly looked honestly confused.

"What are you talking about?”

"Don't play dumb, I told you not to speak those lies to the columns." She started to look angered as well.

"How could my best friend accuse me of such a thing?”

"How am I supposed to believe you?”

"I give you my word. Maybe I have manipulated people in the past, but I did not tell those people. What happened to you Juliana you used to like that I was bad. It never bothered you before. And is it so bad?”

"Is what so bad?”

"Everyone hating Elizabeth.”

"How could you say that? Our relationship is ruined. Her reputation was almost the same. How is that not bad?”

"Can't you see you are better than her? I was always a better sister to you than she was. If we could get her out of the way, everyone would see how amazing you are. We could be together Juliana.”

"Lilly, stop you’re scaring me.” She reached out to grab my arm. I turned around and began to swiftly leave. I ignored her cries of my name. I had never seen this side of her. She had a crazed look in her eye. She reminded me of my grandmother right before she died. She had mumbled crazy sayings, and was delusional.

Why hadn't I noticed how possessive Lilly was before? She was just trying to push Lizzy away from me. What if she was the one that poisoned Lizzy? I became quite frightened and began to push through the crowd.