Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Juliana POV

Pathetic, Of course I was talking about the way Elizabeth was drooling over Tim Dallas. She was to 'good' for his taste. He needed someone wittier, more daring.

"Someone like you Juliana," My friend Lilly remarked.

I whipped my head around. "Was I speaking aloud?"

 "No, but that look on your face speaks wonders.”

I resented how she always knows what I’m contemplating. The inner sanctum of my own deepest thoughts was never safe. Not that I would ever admit that to her. Then again I’m sure she is already well aware. "It’s just that she is always doing everything possible to appease our mother.”

"Why do you care so much Juliana?”

"I don't.”

The look on Lilly's face suggested she didn't believe me in the slightest, but thankfully she didn't say anything, for I was in a foul mood. Lilly moved here from Russia when we were both ten. Her father made his fortune in cotton, allowing her to attend school in Georgia. We became fast friends. Lilly had an exotic look to her. Rich brown eyes complimented her light red hair. She also had a sweet accent that she worked to her advantage when trying to get what she wanted. To this day I can't say no when she uses it on me. I had forever admired her. She made me come to the realization being amiss was something to laud.

As the night wore on ties loosened and the men were getting more anxious every hour. All the respectable women would be soon leaving. I of course was bored and wished for something to do besides stare at Elizabeth and her every act of perfection. "Miss Weathers may I have this dance.” A drunken slurred voice said to me from behind.

 I turned around to see the one and only Derek Sharn. His black hair was laid long and stringy with sweat. His bow tie lay untied on his neck. Every girl secretly had a burning passion in their heart for him.

It was most alluring forbidden love. He was known for his drinking, partying and womanizing. His enchanting brown eyes, olive complexion, and perpetual smirk could make any woman swoon. Sadly though, mothers wanted their daughters to like The Dallas boy type; Tender, canny, and polished. Dull Dull Dull.

Derek was only accepted into the inner circle because his grandmother who he had lived with since his parents passed away, was a ‘Sharn’; One of the oldest and wealthiest families in Georgia.

By parents standards he was not a suitable suitor. For me though he was just what I needed to add some piquancy to the evening. I was most exhausted from holding forced conversations with men my mother conveniently brought to my side every half hour.

So far I had met one doctor, a lawyer, and three cads, all of which had received my mother’s seal of approval. To my mother’s severe disappointment, I had quickly chased off each and every one. None of them were as interested in me as they were in my lower backside. The exact spot each hand seemed to reside.

 "Of course.” He held me close and began dancing dreadfully, missing every three steps. "I say Mr. Sharn your dancing skills are not up to par.” His breath reeked of scotch.

"I'm not much for this sort of thing, dancing and such. Want to take our leave? You seem like the type of girl that might actually be tolerable.”

"Follow me then,” I said. I felt excited at the thought of going and doing something with Derek, Something that my mother would disapprove of. Perhaps something even slightly dangerous. He gave me a lopsided grin and followed me outside.