𝐱𝐯𝐢. CONFESSIONS OF A WEREWOLF

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

  BELLA CLUNG TO HER SISTER fearing that if she released her grip for even a split second Bailey would vanish before her eyes again. She couldn't come to a logical conclusion as to how Bailey was still alive; her mind was drawing completely blank. This shouldn't have been possible. Bailey should be dead. Bella had, subconsciously, come to terms with that horrifying fact when her little sister had been dragged out of the room against her will by a bloodthirsty vampire. Those painful minutes of absolute silence, Bella could still remember them. How dreadful it all was. There was nothing she could have done and she was fully aware that it was her own fault. She was transfixed by the idea of getting to see him one last time, convinced that even if he didn't love her anymore at least she would get to say a proper goodbye—she should have told Bailey to stay home. 

Bailey... Bella looked down at the unconscious teenager in her arms. Other than the slight bruising around her neck, Bailey looked fine, peaceful even. It was the first time she had properly shut her eyes since the cliff diving incident. 

Bella watched over her sister, her incredible sister. She seemed so small now, so beautifully tranquil. 

She grimaced, her internal guilt was eating her alive. Her eyes watered as she trembled. Was she really this blind? So self-centred? How could she have just let herself fall apart like that and for so long? How could she have ever let Bailey believe that she didn't love her? Bella knew it was her fault because Bailey was smarter than this, if it had been any ordinary day she would have convinced Bella—or forced her—to stay back at Forks for her own safety. But instead, instead Bella's actions (intentional or not) had left Bailey traumatized, and unhealthily attached to her... Hell, it was Bella's fault Bailey was currently non-verbal! 

I'm sorry... Bella thought while bringing Bailey closer to her. She was aware that 'sorry' wouldn't be enough, it couldn't be enough. But an apology was all she had at the moment, it was all that she could give. 

She thought back to when Bailey wandered back into the "throne" room, surprising them all by being the last one standing. She looked so pale in the face then, the look in her eye was different—her entire demeanour felt off, and in her hand, she held Santiago's severed head by his dark hair. She hadn't uttered a word, her light eyes just drifted to every face in the room until they fell on Aro. Wordlessly, Bailey had stared him down, tossed Santiago's head at the man's feet and collapsed. 

Bella still shuddered at the memory—not because of the severed head or Bailey's loss of consciousness... but of the shrill, crackle that Aro had let out, one filled with bliss.

⍣ ೋ

Bailey had been a death's door before. Last spring when she'd blown up a building while still being inside. Sure, she'd neutralized the enemy, and she'd killed James on her own but putting herself in danger wasn't her favourite plan. Still, her action made sure everyone else was alive, she'd used what little time she had to come up with a plan—she'd used her brain. This time was different.