𝐢𝐢. DISASTROUS BIRTHDAY CELEBRATIONS

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

  HAVING ONE PERIOD JUST BEFORE lunch meant that Bailey's school days were rather short and despite her love for school, she did like the fact that she could get back to her investigations on the vampire venom. Her mind was still stuck on her hypothesis, the idea that something resiting in human blood was darn, or rather compatible with vampire venom. Of course, Bailey was curious to know which had come first. The vampire or the human? Did humans come from vampires or had vampires evolved into the perfect versions of humans? It was likely the latter over the former, at least Bailey thought so. 

She had bussed home after her only period was over, considering that she was going to go back to the Cullen house for Bella's party, and she didn't feel like calling Jasper to come and fetch her. For her lunch, Bailey ate whatever was left in the fridge and retreated to her bedroom for the rest of the day. Her room was rather messy, with scattered papers and pencils containing equations, thrown-away notes, and scribbled-out ideas. Still, Bailey managed to find some empty space to sit down and continue on while snacking. 

Time passed by quickly when Bailey was hyper-focused so when she was walking back downstairs with her dirty dishes, she noticed that Bella and Edward were already back from school. 

They were watching the 1960s version of Romeo and Juliet. Bailey looked on toward them, without a doubt Edward knew that she was there but Bella hadn't yet noticed her. Bailey rose her eyebrows slightly when she noticed that Bella was crying while watching the scene where Juliet awakens to find her new husband (Romeo) dead. 

"I'll admit, I do sort of envy him here," Edward said, drying the tears with a lock of Bella's hair.

"She's very pretty," Bella admitted. 

Edwar made a disgusted sound. "I don't envy him the girl—just the ease of the suicide," he clarified in a teasing tone. "You humans have it so easy! All you have to do is throw down one tiny vial of plant extracts..." 

"What?" Bella gasped. 

"It's something I had to think about once, and I knew from Carlisle's experience that it wouldn't be simple. I'm not even sure how many ways Carlisle tried to kill himself in the beginning... after he realized what he'd become..." His voice, which had grown serious, turned light again. "And he's clearly still in excellent health." 

Bailey could still hear their conversation when she entered the kitchen with her dishes. 

"What are you talking about?" Bella demanded. "What do you mean, this something had to think of about once?" 

"Last spring, when you were... nearly killed..." He paused to take a deep breath, struggling to return to his teasing tone. "Of course, I was trying to focus on finding you alive, but part of my mind was making contingency plans. Like I said, it's not easy for me as it is for a human."