CHAPTER ONE

Gene was an emoji.

He wasn't one of the popular ones, like Poop or Devil. 

He wasn't as suave as Linda, and he wasn't as attractive as Flamenca

Gene, his entire life, had simply been Meh.

Even when he was little he had been told to contain it. To keep it hidden.  To never tell anyone.

And Gene had listened. 

Yet, here Gene was, last day of senior year, ready to show the world who he truly was.

However, we'll need to start this story at the beginning, first day of junior year.

Gene stood before the front doors of the school, watching everyone around him run inside, chattering happily, and meeting up wit new friends. 

Gene moved out of the way of a girl, probably a sophomore, and just managed to avoid her swinging arms as she ran to hug her friend. Gene managed to stay balanced, moving to the side as he allowed more people to run inside. 

Gene was a tall, lanky teenager. Standing at 6'1, he wasn't exactly in control of his limbs, and where some of the athletes were taller them him, and yet shaped like Adonis, Gene was simply awkward.

"Genie!" A voice called, from the middle of the crowd trying to get inside, and after a struggle, Gene's friend managed to squeeze through. Compared to Gene, Hi-five, was incredibly short. He was shorter than most of the girls, and just as awkward as Gene was. 

When Five first came to America, plenty of the girls flocked to Five him. He was British, he was smooth, and he was incredibly polite. But once the novelty of him had worn off, they had all moved on to the accent-laden kid to come through the doors. And while Five was on the fall from his newfound fame, he and Gene had become friends. 

Five bounded over, and wrapped his arms around Gene in a tight embrace, Gene patted his back awkwardly, aware people around him were staring at the pair with disdain. He gently pushed Five away, chuckling awkwardly when his friend looked at him for some kind of explanation.

"We uh, we really need to get to our homeroom," Gene muttered, waving a hand towards the double doors that the rest of the school were trying to fit through. The past two years they had taken a while to find their homerooms, making them late for class twice. This year Gene was determined to actually be at class on time. 

"Side door?" Five asked, the side of his mouth quirking up as he glanced towards the side of the school, shifting from foot to foot as he awaited Gene's reply.

"Side door." Gene confirmed with a grin, and the pair moved out of the crowd, walking towards the dark colored brick that became the side of the school.

Like every school in america, emoji high had special spots, and for their school, each of the doors had a different meaning. The front door was the entrance, simple. The left door was for couples, they escaped through that way during class to make out, do whatever they wanted. The staff door was for teachers to smoke, and if they were Professor Lip, to piss. The back door was for fire drills and emergency's, and the side door was for students to do drugs. 

As they moved towards the door, the familiar scent of weed surrounded them. Gene and Five didn't do drugs, at least not regularly, but most students didn't use the doors because of the regular busts by the teachers trying to catch students in the act. 

Once the turned the corner the black single door came into view, and along with that, a girl was standing beside it. She was beautiful, even under all the eyeliner, and she had dark black dyed hair, with a couple blue streaks. Gene had to admit, it wasn't the best look. She looked like a 2000s emo chick, and there was a reason the look was left in the 2000s.