10

The next day Dís was at Dwin's door at the appointed time and they set off for Dale together. On their way Dís told Dwin that she had talked to Bofur and he had confirmed Tauriel's story. Bofur said it would have looked very funny indeed to see the two side by side, but yes, Kíli was in love head over heels.

And Dwin told Dís about her brother's letter, their plans for the bond and the visit to the Iron Mountains. And she asked Dís whether she would be her witness at the ceremony.

"It's a little bold, I know. But I don't know anyone else here", she said with a smile.

"So you are still determined you want that roughneck?", the princess asked with a sigh.

"Yes, I am."

"All right then. I hope very much that it will turn out to be the right decision for you. Therefore I will gladly be your witness."

So they had a lot to talk about and the short way to Dale just flew by. Thorin wanted Dís to be escorted by at least six heavily armed guards but she had bargained him down to three. Nevertheless they caused quite a stir when they arrived. They strolled over the spacious markets. The merchants were also set up on customers from Erebor and Dwin could buy two everyday dresses and a coat in dwarf size for herself. They had fun buying cloth, lace, buttons, needles and threat for nightgowns and lingerie Dwin wanted to sew herself.

Dwin noticed that Dís looked around searchingly every once in a while.

"Maybe we should stop by the hospital's construction site", Dwin said casually.

Dís paused and looked at her piercingly.

"You should be careful not to be smarter than is good for you", she said but then added softly, "But where you're right, you're right."

On the way back Dís was silent and seemed lost in gloomy thoughts. Dwin wondered why, for she clearly had had the impression that the afternoon had developed quite according to the princess's wish. They had asked their way to the future hospital and actually met Bard there. He and Dís had talked long and lively, laughed a lot and obviously got along very well. Dwin sat next to them with her cup of tea and listened, more or less bored.

Bard had been really surprised when Dís introduced Dwin and told her story and his congratulations to her engagement truly seemed to come from his heart. Dwin liked him and it was just to obvious that Dís did too. Thus Dwin did not understand why the princess was so downcast then but she did not dare to ask outright.

She tried to take her mind off whatever she bothered and said with a sigh:

"Oh, my dear Leni. To the Iron Mountains and back you will take me but then I will have to sell you, I'm afraid."

Dís was torn out of her thoughts and looked up.

"Why? What is wrong with her? I thought you liked her. You will certainly not find such a beautiful pony again easily", she said disapprovingly.

"Yeah. It really hurts me too, but I don't really need a pony let alone such an expensive one. I don't know how much Dwalin earns and it will certainly be more than me in the beginning but to keep a pony we do not really need we sure can't afford. Don't you want to buy Leni? Then I'd know at least that she would be well taken care of."

To Dwin's surprise Dís laughed aloud.

"And he really let you believe that? That should earn him another twenty-five strokes! Dwin! Dwalin is one of the richest dwarves in Middle Earth. He could buy you a hundred white ponies. And as much gold, silver, gems and jewellery you would collapse under the sheer weight!"