Chapter 36

(A/N: Thanks to Slothyboi123 for helping me with this chapter!)

Maddie's POV

I smile down at Maylee as I get her out from her bath, "You love baths, don't you, baby?"

She giggles in response. I dry her off before drying her hair, then put a diaper on her. After I get her pajamas on her, I lay her down in her crib.

"Goodnight, precious," I tell her, and she smiles. I kiss her head before I go into my room and pick up my phone, reading the goodnight text from Caleb. I text back before going to bed myself.

I wake up around three in the morning from Maylee crying. I get out of bed quickly and head straight to her room. After I change her diaper, I bounce her a little, and once she's calm, I see her eyes starting to close again. As I'm laying her back down in her crib, I hear her bedroom door swing open.

I look up quickly, and see a person wearing a mask coming my way.

"What the h-" I start, but the person swings out and hits me.

As I land on the floor, I hear Maylee's cries again. I see the person take her from her crib and try to run with her. I reach my leg out and trip the person, grabbing Maylee before she hits the floor.

"Mom! Dad!" I scream.

I run with Maylee, heading to the other room and running into my parents on the way.

"What's going on?" My mom asks.

"Someone is in Maylee's room. He tried to take her," I cry.

My dad runs into her room while my mom calls the police. I hear my dad from the other room, "You son of a bitch!"

I take Maylee, who is still crying, into my room. Still crying myself as I call Caleb.

"Maddie?" He answers, sleepily.

"Caleb," I cry.

"Maddie, what's wrong?"

"Someone broke into the house and tried to take Maylee," I hold her closer to me, bouncing her on my leg.

"What? Is she okay?"

"Yeah," I sob, "I was so scared."

I hear him hang up, so I assume he is coming over. I lay Maylee down on my bed gently, and then go out into the hallway to see what's going on. I hear sirens, and see that everyone is outside. Emma is outside with them.

"Emma, will you go into my room and watch Maylee?" I ask.

"Sure," she says.

I see a cop handcuffing the person, and my parents talking to the other cops. I glance over at headlights, and see Caleb's truck pulling into the driveway.

He gets out quickly, and runs over to me, "Maddie? Are you okay? Where's Maylee?"

"We're fine. She's in my room with Emma," I sniff.

"He hit you," he gently brushes my cheek.

"I'm fine, I promise."

I glance over, seeing that the handcuffed person is glaring at me. It's Jake. I gasp, then see Caleb walking briskly over to him.

"Caleb!" I call out.

"What the hell," he goes for him, but a cop pulls him away.

We find out that Jake will be charged for attempted kidnapping, and breaking and entering. We go back inside, and I don't hear Maylee crying anymore. I go into my room, and Caleb follows me. I open the door and see Emma laying beside of her, tickling her. Maylee laughs, and I can't help but smile. Thank God she's okay.

She turns her head and sees Caleb. Her eyes light up, and she immediately reaches for him. He goes over and picks her up, holding her closely.

"Dada!" She beams.

"Hey, pretty girl," he smiles down at her, giving her a kiss on her head. She smiles widely up at him.

Emma goes back into her room, and I see Maylee's eyes starting to close, so I take her back to her room. After I lay her in her crib, I go back into my room and see Caleb sitting on my bed. I start crying again, and he comes over to me. He hugs me tightly, and I cry into his chest.

"I was so scared, Caleb," I sob.

"I know, but you're okay. Maylee's okay. That piece of shit is arrested and will be put away from a long, long time. He won't hurt either of you ever again. I won't let him."

"I love you," I say, pulling away.

"I love you," he says back, "I'll stay here with you tonight."

I lay down, and he lays beside of me. I reach over and turn the light off, and Caleb puts his arm around me.

"Try to get some sleep," he says, "I'm right here."