Chapter 34

Maddie's POV

I knew that I loved Maylee, but I didn't know exactly how much I really love her until I finally held her. She's absolutely precious. She has soft light brown hair, and of course, blue eyes. Whenever I look at her, I can't believe she's actually mine.

She's almost ten months old now, and I can't believe it. She can already say 'Mama'. Caleb comes over all the time to see her, and it's so cute watching him with her.

It's March now, and I will be graduating in a couple months, along with Caleb and all of my friends. My mom goes into work a little later than she used to so she can watch Maylee while I'm at school. I miss her so much when I'm at school. I work on both Saturday and Sunday nights, but sometimes I'm off. So I see Maylee in the day time on those days, and sadly, only for a few hours on the weekdays I work.

After a long day at school, I finally arrive home. I see my mom sitting on the couch with Maylee, whose little eyes light up when she sees me as she instantly reaches out to me, "Mama!"

I take her from my mom and put her on my hip, "Hi, precious," I smile at her. She smiles back and I give her a little kiss on her head, "Mom, you're watching her for me tonight, right?"

"I actually got called into work," she says, "Maybe Caleb can watch her?"

I smile, "Okay. I'll call him." I carry Maylee up the stairs and into my room. I play with her for a few minutes and finish my homework before pulling out my phone and calling Caleb.

It doesn't take him long to answer, "Hey."

"Hey, I was gonna ask you something."

"Okay?"

"Would you mind watching Maylee for me this evening? Just for a couple hours because my dad can pick her up around seven when he gets off of work."

"Of course," he says, without hesitation, "I'll come pick her up."

I hang up before texting my dad, asking him if he'd pick Maylee up from Caleb's, and he says he will.

I look down at Maylee who is sitting on my leg, "I guess you'll be spending the evening with Caleb!"

Her eyes light up when I say Caleb's name, and a smile spreads across her face. She loves Caleb so much.

It doesn't take long for him to get here. I go down and answer him at the door. He smiles widely at Maylee, and she does the same to him. He holds out his hands, and she reaches, so he takes her from me.

I go upstairs quickly, considering I have to be at work in a little less that thirty minutes. I pack Maylee's bag before bringing it back down. I go and get Maylee's carseat from my car and put it in Caleb's truck. I tell her bye, and then tell Caleb bye, and then I'm off to work.

Caleb's POV

I get back at my house with Maylee, and then get her back and her carseat out before going inside. My mom and dad are both at work, so it looks like its just the two of us.

She takes her little hand and touches the side of her carseat, an upset look on her face, so I know she wants out. I pick her up gently, and she smiles. I turn on a kids' show for her so I can finish my last bit of homework. She sits beside of me on the couch, clearly amused by whatever show this is.

Almost as soon as I finish my homework, she starts to whine a little. She looks at me, her bottom lip stuck out.

"What's the matter?" I ask.

She starts making quiet cries, and then I realize that she needs a diaper change. Thankfully, Maddie taught me how to change a diaper. I look in Maylee's bag and pull out her portable changing mat, then pulling out a new diaper and wipes.

After I get her changed, I feel a little hungry, so I go into the kitchen- Maylee with me. I open the fridge and don't find anything appetizing. In fact, I don't really find much of anything.

"I guess we're going to the grocery store," I tell Maylee.

"Bah bah bah," she says, as if she's talking back to me.

I put her back in her carseat and then to the truck, her bag as well. We get to the grocery store, and I put her in the baby seat in the cart. I don't get a lot, just a few things for right now. Talking to Maylee, during. Making her giggle a few times. She's the cutest thing I've ever seen.

I put the grocery bags in the truck, and then Maylee. As I'm buckling her in, she stares at me. Her bright blue eyes shining. I smile at her, and then she says something I don't expect.

"Dada."

I stare at her, "What did you say?"

"Dada," she repeats.

"I-I'm not dada, silly," I tell her, tickling her little foot.

She giggles, "Dada."

"Oh boy," I say quietly.

When we get back to my house, I make myself something to eat, keeping an eye on Maylee while she watches the TV.

She looks over at me again when I sit beside her, "Dada."

I let out a breath and give her a small smile, "I love you very much, but I'm not your dada."

She reaches out to me, and I can tell from her eyes that she's getting sleepy. I pick her up and lay her on my chest. Her little eyes are still open, but closing.

"Somebody's sleepy," I tell her.

I start rubbing her back, and she smiles a little, "Dada."

She yawns a little, and her eyes close all the way. I hold her a little closer, and even feel myself falling asleep.