Chapter 5

"But that is not allowed."

This was Madison's signature catchphrase. She was a robot with red lipstick, with her idea of fun being tidying up the already spotless room and studying.

"You're telling me that going to get seconds on dessert isn't allowed?"

She patted her lips with the floral printed napkin. "A lady shouldn't be greedy."

"Greedy my ass, I'm hungry."

She gave me the 'look' of disapproval and opened her mouth to speak. I slapped my hands down on the table and stood up, pushing the chair from beneath me. "I know, I know. Swearing is not allowed," I rolled my eyes and walked over to help myself to another slice of the delicious apple pie they were serving tonight. The cafeteria worker was just beginning to put away the dessert when she saw me standing with my tray.

"Seconds?" She seemed slightly shocked and almost unsure if she should ignore me and keep on packing away the pie.

I shrugged, "Yeah, I seem to be the only one who's still hungry."

"That you are," her eyes danced around the room to see if anyone was watching, and then she quickly slid the pie onto a plate and handed it to me.

"Thank you," I smiled, breathing in the warm apple smell.

I turned on my heels and went to sit back with Madison and some other girls when I was pulled sideways by somebody, almost knocking the tray out of my hands.

"Do you have some kind of death wish?" The familiar voice of Rex snapped in my ear.

I haven't seen him since the night of the cotillion when he ran off, and that was almost a week ago.

"Have you not noticed my mother standing right over there? She'd drag you to her office the minute she saw you with that."

I sighed in frustration as the warm apple smell was quickly fading. "Yeah, so? It's just pie, what's the big deal?"

He grabbed the plate off the tray and pulled my arm towards the exit. "It might just be pie to you, but to her it's like a slap in the face. She'd give you another punishment, and it might not be as easy as painting an arch."

"Then where do you have in mind where I can eat this in peace?"

He smirked and guided me though the hallway and up a flight of stairs.

We stepped through the door into which I was assuming was his room.

Rex stacked up some of the books so I had room to sit at his desk.

"Give me your pie," he said.

"No!" I snapped.

"Not to eat," he sighed. "I'm going to heat it up, wouldn't want you complaining even more."

"What's gotten into you?" I asked.

"Nothing," he grumbled.

"Sure seems like a whole lot of something."

"I'm just tired."

I looked over at his bed and noticed it's either been freshly made, or hasn't been slept in for a while. Judging by the mess of the room, I doubt Rex has been making his bed lately.

I flipped through one of the books while I scooped a piece of pie into my mouth.

"Chemistry? Is that what you're learning in homeschool?"

"No, it's just a bit of a side project."

Project. The word sparked in my brain, flashing me back to our conversation by the tree.

"The same project as your mom?"

The playful grin that lived on his lips vanished, leaving his face cold as stone.

He drew in a long breath and let it hiss out slowly. "Just forget I ever mentioned that to you."

"Whatever," I shrugged.

He seemed nervous. I watched the look of concentration on his face when he heard footsteps in the hallway. I could tell he didn't want to be caught with me in his room. I don't understand why though, yeah his mom was a hard ass, but nothing I couldn't handle. 

Another set of footsteps passed. "You should go, Tori. It's getting late."

His computer chair screeched as I pushed backwards. "Late? It's like 7 o'clock. I don't believe in curfews."

"I just have things I need to get done," he said scratching the back of his neck.

I knew he wasn't up for questions, so I decided to just leave him be and head back to my dorm room. Walking back I noticed the perfectly trimmed grass and shrubs, and the precisely places pine trees that were towering over campus. Everything was so sickly perfect I wanted to vomit over it all. I never thought I would be wishing to see an ugly dandelion poking itself through the grass. I shivered, either from the cool breeze, or the eerie feeling in the air. When I reached for my cardigan that was wrapped around my waist, it wasn't there. 

Shit. It's back in Rex's room.

I was the only one walking outside of the dorm rooms and buildings. I hurried back, keeping myself in the shadows so I'm not to be caught. I climbed the flight of stairs that Rex took me up earlier and came to the hallway. A girl with ash black hair was standing by a bulletin board, posting a notice for free tutoring. She looked at me, and then back at Rex's door.

"Rex Worden's room is off limits," she said robotically.

This was all getting too much for me. 

I crossed my arms across my chest. "Yeah? Who's going to know?"

"I'll tell Mrs. Worden."

I smiled politely. "Okay, well tell her this too."

I pounded my fist against Rex's door, and could feel my blood boiling inside me.

He swung open the wooden door, with a look of confusion on his face.

I grabbed the material of his shirt at his chest, and pulled him into me. I crashed my lips against his as the girl watched in shock. I had to stand of the tips of my toes to reach him, but he leaned down so I could stand flat on the floor. I heard her heels make a tap tap tap sound and she scurried down the hallway directly to Mrs. Worden's office.

I felt a sense of satisfaction when I pulled away from his warm lips. "There, that will show her not to tell me what to do."

Rex ran a hand through his perfectly messy hair. "You're going to regret that."

Me? Regret? Ha!

I pushed past him to grab my cardigan that was hung over the computer chair. "Not a chance!"

He stayed in the doorway, leaning against one side."By the way you're a pretty good kisser. About an eight I'd say."

I spun around to glare at him. "Eight?! I know for a fact people have rated my kisses as a solid ten."

A sideways grin danced across his lips. "Maybe I was wrong, you'll have to do it again so I know for sure."

I covered up the heat that was flushing my cheeks with an eye roll. "Good night, Rex." 

"Sweet dreams, eight."