Chapter 2

There was a part of me that wanted to struggle. That wanted to try and get away from the guards that were pulling me towards the ship that was supposedly going to take me and 99 others to the ground.

I did for a couple minutes before I realized that I was going to die anyway. If I went to the ground I would probably die from radiation, but if I stayed I would sooner die anyway for my crimes.

So I stop fighting. I let them put me on the ship with the others and lock me in place. I watched as the doors of the ship closed, thinking about how I'll never see him again.

Now that I'm on the ship I don't have another opportunity to get out. I'm stuck in a fate that can either save me or be the end. I don't care anymore.

I turn my head to see who is sitting beside me. Of course, I won't know anyone in the ship because, they had their lives outside of a cell, I was stuck.

It's a girl sitting beside me, she has her light brown hair in a French braid and a stern look on her face. I haven't been this close to someone who isn't in a guard uniform in a long time. So long, that I don't realize I'm staring until after she turns to look at me. She gives me a crooked smile before holding her hand out.

"The name's Monroe." I look at the hand she's holding out to me and hesitantly grab it as she shakes it once. She looks at me for a minute as if waiting for something, when I realize I haven't said anything.

I don't have a name, or at least, not one that I remember. I only have a number. My father didn't bother to give me a name, and when he would visit me, he just called me kid.

Monroe is looking at me as I struggle to find the words. She looks confused at first but her stare starts to turn to pity. I don't want her pity but it does feel strange to have someone care, even if just for a second.

"Do you have one? A name?" She asks, tilting her head to look at me better. We're strapped down to the seats tight so it's hard to look at one another. I look away for a second before finally answering.

"Not since lock up. I don't remember anything before that." Somehow it seems like she understands, because she pats my knee and gives me the best answer I could hope for.

"Just means you get a fresh start. On a new planet, with a new name." For the first time in years I manage a smile not enough to show my teeth, but enough for a genuine human interaction.

I was about to respond when the ship lurches suddenly. I hear a couple kids scream and others asking what happened. I squeeze my eyes shut and hold onto my straps for dear life.

The screens in front of us suddenly start to come alive. Chancellor Jaha appears on the screen. I expected to hear shouts of disapproval but everyone stays quiet and watches the screen, as it is now the only connection to home.

I am less inclined to listen, for the arc was not my home. It was merely a cell floating in space waiting to break down.

The Chancellor continues talking about how this is our second chance. He admits that they have no idea what is waiting for us and the conditions are more likely to be deadly then welcoming.

"We're sending you because your crimes have made you expendable." He finishes.

My whole life I've decided to push down any hatred I have for the people who live on the ark deep inside of me, pretending everything is okay, but in that moment all I can see is red.

I have a sickening feeling deep in my chest, burning from the inside out. Could this be anger I feel? Or just sickness from entering earths atmosphere?