Sympathy (Luke Oneshot #6)

Loosely based off of the kissing booth... actually a lot based of the kissing booth hahaha

Luke is an awkwardly tall, nervous wreck of a teenager. He wishes he was tiny so people didn't notice him and, although no one ever speaks to him, he thinks everyone is always looking at him.

You and Luke are best friends. You're each other's only friend and that all that matters. The main priority in both of your lives is each other.

Your school are hosting a kissing booth after the film The Kissing Booth and you and Luke wanted nothing to do with it until your art teacher approached you both and asked you to not only run it, but do all the artwork for it.

Even though the two of you wanted to refuse, you were too polite to do so which is how you've ended up painting the words kissing booth on a long strip of cardboard whilst Luke paints the background in perfect white paint.

Another thing that concerns the two of you is finding people to do the kissing booth. It didn't surprise the two of you when you got messages back from people to say that they won't do the kissing booth. Who would kiss a stranger voluntarily and pay for it?

Luckily, you and Luke convinced the class clowns and a couple jocks to do it as long as they got a week of free pizza from the place you and Luke work at after school.

Today is the day of the kissing booth and the two of you have been working none stop. The booth itself is perfect and you hope enough people show up to help fund your schools performing arts group.

Awkward as ever, Luke stands nervously at the side of the booth and bites the tassel on his hoodie, smiling a little at the people who catch his eye. His cheeks are somewhat permanently flushed red and he can't help but single out a comment he heard about himself.

"I hope he isn't doing the booth."

He's been rocking on his heels ever since and has chewed the string on his jacket to the point of it being beyond frayed and damaged.

After you explain the rules to everyone, your first male and your first female make their way onto the makeshift podium you had constructed and put the blindfold over their eyes.

Immediately, people start to put money into your jar and you hand them tickets to confirm their payment.

You notice how Luke's hands shake a little as he collects some money off a few students.

As the booth goes ahead perfectly, you and Luke smile at your work until you do a little math in your head and realise that you don't have enough men to do it.

You let Luke know and he suggests asking one of the other jocks to stay on a little longer but they've already left, leaving behind a single class clown and two females left. With the uneven numbers, you know you need to find another guy to do it but you have no time.

There's only one guy that you know.

"Luke, you're going to have to do it." You inform him.

"What?" He exclaims incredulously.

"There's no one left Luke, we need another guy!" You explain.

"Y/N, if I do it, well have no customer left, no one wants to kiss me." He says.

"Its just a joke around Luke, it doesn't have to mean anything."

"No y/n, that's not it," He clears his throat and sighs, "I haven't had my first kiss yet. I want it to be special."

You look at the sixteen year old in front of you and watch as he sighs sadly.

"Besides," He continues, "I wouldn't pay to kiss me. No one wants to."

You don't want to pressure him into doing it but he sees your desperate face and feels guilty.

He pushes his own insecurities aside and nods, "I'll do it. But e-expect everyone to leave."

You hug him and remain silent as he wanders over to the small stage where the final girl stands after taking over from the other girl.

Luke ties the blindfold around his head at the same time as the girl and a surge of boys press forward to kiss the girl but most of the girls step backwards and look disheartened.

You hear their rude words about Luke and feel guilty to have made him go up there. You knew he didn't have any friends, much like you, but you didn't think people were going to be this bad.

Whilst you stand there, turning to look at Luke, you see him lower his head and shake it sadly. He heard.

Slowly, you take a step onto the stage and go over to where Luke is. He senses a presence and turns away.

"Don't make fun of me, please," He begs and you frown, "I'm only doing this for my best friend. I love her."

You smile a little and put your hand behind his neck. You pull him forward and close your eyes as your lips meet his. For someone who hasn't kissed anyone before, he's a great kisser.

His lips curl into a smile as he kisses you back before he pulls apart.

"I'm sorry." He says nervously.

"Don't be." You say and watch as he freezes up.

"Y/N?" He asks.

"I love you too Luke." You say.

"I-I," He pulls the blindfold off and looks at you.

You see his blushed face and teary eyes.

"I didn't want you to hear that. I'm sorry." He says.

"Hey, Luke, I said I love you too okay?" You say, taking his hand and pulling him off the little podium he's behind.

"Yeah, as a friend," He says with a solid frown on his face, "If you did that because you felt sorry for me, it's not cool. I heard them, I don't want your sympathy and I don't want you to pretend to love me because you pity me."

"Luke," You gasp in shock, "I'm not pretending. I did that for me and for you, not for them. I don't pity you, I love you!"

He looks up in time for you to catch the tear rolling down his face before he wipes it away.

You step forward in front of everyone who is watching intently. You reach your thumb up and touch the side of his face, wiping away the tears that he cries. You stand on your tiptoe and kiss him again.

This time, his arms go around your waist and he doesn't pull away. His tongue tickles your lip a little and you move your hand into his hair.

A loud cheering from the people watching makes you pull away. You turn to face them and see them putting more money into the pot.

"You guys are cute together!" Someone shouts.

"Shit, he's a good kisser." Another one says.

"That's adorable." You hear.

Luke blushes again and grabs your hand.

"Promise Lukey, I love you." You say.

Luke nods and smiles a little as you both leave the stage to take the booth down.

As Luke sits on the grass counting the money, you notice that he has a happy smile on his face whilst you pull the sign down.

"Luke, can you grab the other side of the sign?" You ask.

"Hmm? Oh yeah." He says with his smile visible.

"You okay?"

"Perfect, yeah." He says without looking at you.

You can tell by the look on his face just how much your words meant to him.

Congrats to Mikey and Crystal! 💍🍾

~Abbie