CHAPTER FIFTEEN: Compulsion

Start from the beginning

Lira took the books and they made their way out of the library. She remained silent as they passed by the hall. She kept her eyes on the floor, ignoring the vampires' hisses and glances. Nicholas' wrapped his arm around her shoulder, but she lacked the energy to shrug his arm off.

"Lira, talk to me." She remained silent. "You know how hard it is for someone like me who is unaccustomed to apologize to anyone to say sorry?" She still did not utter a word. "I won't apologize for being who I am." She heard him sigh as they descended the steps outside of the mansion.

She was about to walk ahead of Nicholas when she saw Matt standing a few feet away from her. He jogged towards her shook her shoulders. "Lira what are you doing here?" He lifted his gaze at Nicholas. "What are you doing with him?" She noticed Matt assessing her neck, looking for any fang marks.

"Matt, can you walk me home?"

Matt threw a meaningful glare at Nicholas, tugged Lira's wrist and said, "Let's go." They walked several feet away from the mansion when Matt asked, "What was that all about?"

"He was just showing me their library."

"Lira, when will you stop being this naïve girl? How could you go with him? He's a fucking vampire!"

"Matt, please. This naïve girl is not used to hearing those words."

"Lira, I'm sorry. Okay? But you have to understand the dangers you're getting yourself into. I know Philip's aim for this school was for humans and vampires to learn how to co-exist. But that will never happen. Vampires will always be who they are: opportunistic blood-sucking monsters."

Lira turned her face towards Matt. He looked furious; she wasn't sure if he was angry because she was with Nicholas, or because he detested vampires in general. "You don't hold any high regard for vampires, do you?"

"I hate them," he said full of contempt. "Why do you think I become an Elite Guard? A slayer? It's in my blood to hate them."

"Matt, you cannot be a slayer because you merely hated them. A slayer protects the people from harm. You are our elite guards against vampires, ensuring our safety and making sure the vampires stick to the treaty. How can hate rule your heart if you're meant to save and protect people?"

"You don't understand," Matt said. "When I say it's in my blood, I meant it literally. I was born a slayer. Our family, we are a house of vampire slayers. We knew the vampires existed even before they made appearances in the public during the Plague."

Lira shook her head. "I don't understand."

"Our family was known as vampire hunters. We track vampires and slay those who pose threat to humans. You witnessed how I battled with those vampires months ago? Vampires are strong and yet I was able to match their strength. It's not because of the trainings I received in the academy. That's because it's in my blood: a slayer blood."

Lira still looked puzzled. "Slayer blood?"

"How shall I put it? My family was... gifted with these abilities. My ancestors aided a deity in a war several millennia ago. In order for them to defeat their enemies, they were gifted with strength and abilities to match their enemies. Those enemies were the vampires. Since the beginning our family pledged their loyalty to that deity and to protect the humankind against those vicious and vile monsters. Unfortunately, our family is not big enough to match the sprouting numbers of vampire clans. So when they decided to make themselves known to all, our family started to recruit and train people to be the elite guards. That's why we have the Vampire Slayer Division."

"I never knew about that. I thought the Division was like a police department, only you catch rouge vampires. I never knew you guys existed way before the Plague."