Don't Worry But I Won't Be Able To Write For A While

"Brian, there's mail for you." My stepdad yells from the front door as he walks in at eight pm and I run up to him excitedly. Probably the only time I'm happy to be near him honestly. "This army nurse must really like you. What was her name again?"

"Brianna. Thank you." I say ask I  take my letter and rush off to my room. I sit on my bed, which much to my stepdads dismay has pink sheets, before opening the letter.

Dear Trixie Pixie,
                                   Are you well? I hope that you are. I wish that I could come home to you right now. It won't be too long now hopefully. When it gets really bad here I just close my eyes and think of that day you took me to the cliffs. I imagine your pretty smile and how cute you look in your uniform.

The soldiers here aren't my sort of people. They're mostly tough, strong, fearless men who talk about sports and all that 'manly' stuff I don't like. I'm that weird older one who is quite and flexible. Don't judge me for doing my yoga you butt.

I know it's scary Trix but don't worry about me. Don't worry about me please.

We're getting closer. I'm part of a team that is pushing through to the front line soon. It's kind of scaring me that I'm loving a lot of the things I was so scared of earlier. The rush of adrenaline. The discipline. The patience.

Don't worry but I won't be able to write for a while.

         Love,
                   B.McCook

I put the letter down with shakey hands. At least he's safe. At least I got a letter. Oh my gosh he signed it with love. I miss him. Even though I can't. I'm not even meant to love him. Oh no. I love him.

I let out a squeal into my pillow before regaining my composure and putting the letter away with the others.

Suddenly there's a knock at my door and my mom walks in. "Hey Trix. Are you okay? Is your girlfriend okay?" My mom asks with a soft frown.

I quickly clear my throat and sit up properly. "Yes. Everything is fine. And she isn't my girlfriend mom." I say quitely.

My mom just smiles at me. "Good. Get ready for bed honey. You have work with that young Delano kid tomorrow don't you? Their first shift?" She questions.

"Yes, yes. Goodnight mom." I say as I give her a one armed hug.