There was a painful screech as Banshees chair scraped against the concrete flooring.

"So you've got skeletons in your closet." He whistled as he leaned back against his chair and watched me in a slow game of who could break contact first. "And to think you once called me a disgusting murderer."

My voice was suddenly vicious. "Don't compare me to you."

"Keep thinking like that and it'll get you nowhere." He chuckled at my venom. "The sooner you begin to accept that we're much alike than you think, the clearer everything will be for you."

My eyes narrowed. "What does that mean?"

"Exactly what it is." He murmured, shrugging. "You"— he pointed at me— "Me" — he stabbed a finger at his chest — "One and the same."

"You murdered more than thirty people because you craved a brain orgasm."

"Careful," He warned. "—or it'll look like you're justifying taking three lives against thirty. Are three lives less valid that thirty?"

"That's not what—"

"Then don't deny it when I say we're alike." He watched me wince at him and chuckled.

I wanted to cuss but that would mean he would realise how upset he was making me. I looked up at the dotted ceiling instead.

He chuckled. "This is like an AA meeting then. Murderers Anonymous."

"Funny." I feigned impassivity. "It's my turn."

"Shoot."

I decided to excite him first. I wanted to him to let his guard down before he lied to me again. It was harder to believe his words ever since he had confessed to being a liar.

I looked into his eyes and asked, "Given the chance, how would you kill me?"

It worked like magic.

He froze, and poked at some deeper level inside of me with his confused eyes. He genuinely looked perplexed at my question but mostly, he looked intrigued. "Why?"

"Call it curiosity."

He crossed and uncrossed his arms, straining at his shackles. "Telling you would take away the motivation if there were ever any. Besides, I don't want to kill you, Aria."

"Then why are you cuffed?"

He looked down at the cuffs for a brief moment and then again at me. Then Nicholas leaned down as though he were whispering a secret to me. "It's all theatrics."

I frowned.

"I'm serious." He chuckled softly. "You're not the only one being manipulated, Aria."

I zoned in on his implication. "So this is all for show?" I glanced up at the cameras surrounding us. "These aren't actually here to protect me?"

"Oh, they are." He reassured. "I can be dangerous."

That, I knew. I hated when his eyes carried spark and so, I forced him away from the light. "Your turn."

His eyes locked mine inside of his with a key I hadn't noticed before. "Who did you kill?"

My first instinct was to deny everything. But I looked through his adamant eyes and knew that he knew. I glanced at the cameras quickly because I didn't want to admit to anything. Diplomatic immunity or not, whatever I said was going to be a confession.

I wasn't about to sing for them like a proverbial canary.

Banshee followed my gaze. He tapped once on the glass to catch my attention and when I turned back to him, I was shocked to see an honest man. Nicholas.