INTERLUDE I

I N T E R L U D E

A R I A  B L A C K - 1 5

     I GUESS IT'S CHEERIOS for breakfast again, Aria thought glumly. Every morning after her parents had a huge fight, the house would go deathly still. No one would come down to make breakfast, no one would turn on the radio, no one would open the windows. It would be bright, sunny and beautiful outside, but inside was dark. It was a forever night in the Black household.

Aria hated her life.

Footsteps bound down the hallway and the kitchen door slammed open, bouncing against the wooden counter. A familiar voice echoed into the small room. "Do you think he hit her? I'll bet you £10 dad knocked one of moms teeth out."

Ugh. She shot a wary glance at her younger brother but didn't say a word. Instead, she idly twisted the metal spoon around her soggy cereal.

"No answer?" Hugh said, shoving her fingers off the cereal bowl and grabbing it from her. "Well fuck you, I hope you fail your big test."

Oh. Right. Today was the Macmillian Mathematics Championships for over 21s. She was only 15 but she would be entering.

She had forgotten.

"I've got places to be so let me know if mom or dad have any bruises from their little argument." He winked, eyes as malicious as ever. Mouthful of cheerios, he added. "Entertainment purposes."

Aria scowled. When she heard him leave through the back door, she shivered. Her brother was becoming a monster. Considering he was already bigger than her, it was terrifying to watch him transform before her eyes.

She didn't get to spend a lot of time with Hugh because she was never around enough. She had science classes, maths tutoring, championships, spelling bees. In short, she had a shiny education. Hugh, on the other hand, had nothing to compare. He didn't even go to school. Her dad had said That's a waste of my days income. I'm not paying extra for a son who wouldn't amount to anything.

But even the few times she managed to say hi to him, he was always cruel and bitter.

It wasn't her fault that dad didn't love him. Everyone else did. She couldn't understand why that wasn't enough. Did he want to be like her? Being a prodigy as every newspaper had branded her wasn't fascinating. It was stressful. All she wanted was to play, relax, have some fun.

All work and no play made 15 year old Aria lose her mind.

Aria pushed back her chair and stood up, her mood had only soured since she woke up. The only person who could cheer her up was Diana. Diana understood. Diana sympathised. Diana loved too much for her little heart.

She grabbed her school bag from the floor by the coat hangers and shoes and dusted it. Leaning down to pick up a stray book that had fallen out of her pink polka dot bag, she noticed a letter wedged between the two winter boots.

Dads letter? She decided that it must have fallen from his jacket. It was a little pink envelope and on it was engraved the letter M in simple yet beautiful cursive. She thought it was so pretty, and smelled oh so nice! Floral, and with cherries. Fruity!