ONE

forgive me if there's any confusion, i've renamed the OC about 5 times because none of the names were anglosaxon and it annoyed me  (

forgive me if there's any confusion, i've renamed the OC about 5 times because none of the names were anglosaxon and it annoyed me (..ironically rosamund and morwenna are actually frankish / anglosaxon respectively) but i kinda like elisabeth and it has saxon origins so lets just go with it for now

enjoy and happy new year! 5 hours into 2019 and i already feel this is gonna be a good, productive year x

word count; 2080

**this is set post season 2 but pre season 3
**and no I haven't misspelt Cumberland or Ireland I'm using the Saxon spellings lmao

Elisabeth

"Are you genuinely asking me to marry Guthred of Cumbraland? Guthred!"

Alfred put his hands up in the air defensively. Though he was dismayed by my reaction, he could not suppress the smile that rose from my reaction. He clearly found it a little funny, to say the least, much to my annoyance. I did not like Guthred nor his clear idiocy, even if had not met him.

"It is a good match." Alfred spoke softly. He found some hilarity in my fury; I rejected every proposal and saw no benefit in any of them. Even King Aethelred, before he died, found my temper to be something that caused the utmost laughter — merely because I flew into fits of rage at the smallest thing. Since his death it had been somewhat tamed but, alas, it still flared— occasionally.

"He is King because some Abbot thought he saw him in a dream!" I exclaimed with fury, "I am Queen because it is my God-given birthright! And he is a Dane! A grubby little Dane." I was seething at the prospect, albeit a rather 'jumping to conclusions' reaction. I was likely dismissing it because of what he was rather than who, I could see that — albeit retrospectively. If I could find issue with him, I would, and thus I would dismiss him as an option.

"A Christian Dane," Alfred said it as if it made him better but I did not— could not see it that way. Aelswith nodded hastily to support her husband but I remained unconvinced.

"But still, a Dane," I repeated with an air of annoyance. "I would never forgive myself for marrying a man who would take my power and use it to his own advantage, as we all know he would!" I spoke. We did not know if he would. We did not know what kind of man he was. But he was a man. Most men, given the opportunity, would abuse the power granted to them as my husband. I had a duty to ensure that didn't occur. That, and Guthred was not a man to like. His actions proved that much. "If I have to marry someone from Northumbria I may as well marry Uhtred," I huffed, folding my arms and letting out an exasperated sigh.

"I think he would have something to say about that," Edward teased, a grin spreading across his lips. I shrugged and dismissed it.

"As I have something to say about marrying Guthred of Cumbraland!" My reply was as swift as my temper had risen. I had no intention to marry, particularly not Guthred, and believed the entire situation to be a disaster waiting to happen. "They say he is weak beyond compare and I do not wish to marry a man with no military means."