Chapter 5 - Polaroids

Elli told her family she was dating Collyn. What's that even supposed to mean? Why would she do that? And why is she telling Parker this now? It seems so random and strange for her. Elli doesn't lie to her family, not like that. Well, not really. She'll lie about her and Parker but that's their agreement. But, what could be lying to her entire family about Collyn have to do with anything? Why would that even be important? Why didn't she tell him sooner?

Parker stays quiet, just looking at Elli. There's this almost burning feeling in the pit of his stomach again and it's making him keep his mouth shut. It's keeping his stare on her, straight face and confused eyes. And Elli is just watching him with growing panic. Parker is never quiet. Quiet Parker is bad, always bad so while Parker's gut is twisting with a burning tinge, Elli's is twisting with guilt.

Parker clears his throat, shaking his head to brush off the feeling he hates. "Why?" He asks and there's a flood of relief that flows through him as the word comes out nonchalant, contradicting the feeling in his stomach.

Elli feels the same relief with the ease of the word and she thinks, maybe it just caught him off guard. "My family, ya know? They just, they always think we're dating and I got tired of hearing it so I told them I was dating Collyn."

Parker nods in understanding before running a hand through his disheveled curls. "But, why Collyn?" Parker asks and this time, his brows are tugging together and an eye is slightly squinting. "I mean, 's fine. But, why? We say we're dating anytime one of us needs to get out of a date and we're each other's plus-ones to parties."

There it is. It's the fear Elli was wishing wouldn't happen. He's hurt. Parker's lost the nonchalant attitude in his smooth words and he's asking why she chose Collyn. Everyone has to make choices but choosing between her best friends was never something Elli intended to do. And now she has to deal with that choice, as small as it may seem. And it may seem small to her but it's not to Parker because, to him, he's good enough to pretend to date when she needs to bail on some jackass but not when it comes to her family. Parker is the one she can show her friends but Collyn is the one she can bring home to her family.

"Uh," Elli shrugs a shoulder, her heart sounding like a thousand racehorses in her ears. "If I said you, they'd push harder I think." Elli tugs at the sleeve of her hoodie as she licks her lips. "I don't want it to change what we're doing." She looks up and her eyes meet Parker's, his expression softening.

Of course, when Collyn asked, Elli couldn't tell him that part. It's all a secret but the truth is that she's scared if she were to tell her family she were dating Parker, it'd change their friends with benefits deal. She's not entirely sure how, but she's afraid it could complicate things with how often they're around her family, especially this time of year. Elli likes where her and Parker are. Friends, benefits, roommates. It's everything she could want and need and it's fun, no pressure, just the two of them having fun and trusting each other in every way. Elli would hate to put any of that at risk. It's just not worth it to her and she can only hope that Parker understands.

A chuckle falls from Parker's lips and Elli's heart lifts. "Why would it change anything?" Parker doesn't get it but the look at her face shows she's genuinely worried it would change things, so he'll hear her out.

"I dunno." Elli shrugs. "Maybe you'd get bored of always having to pretend to date me in front of my family and you'd get bored of what we do here."

Parker scoffs. "Bored of all this," He gestures his hands out. "With you? You've gone mental. I'd never get bored." Parker's words are airy and sweet like honey, just the way Elli loves them.

The look of regret and remorse that took over Elli's expression squeezes Parker's heart and he knew right then that Elli hadn't meant to hurt him or anything of the sort. And hearing her reasoning, hearing that she just didn't want things to change, it makes Parker's heart grow. He doesn't want their thing to end either and while he doesn't think Elli saying she's dating him would change it, he gets it. He understands where she's coming from and he understands why. So, he lets his voice become airy and light-hearted, for the sake of Elli.