¹⁴⁾ buddy

[JANE POV.]

laugh with me buddy, jest with me buddy, don't ever let her get the best of me buddy, don't ever let me start 'feelin lonely !

CHAPTER FOURTEEN.

⋆⋆⋆

IT HAS been two weeks since the closet incident. and I can't get it out of my head.

the brief moment replays in my mind over and over, and as much as I try to shake it away, all it does is remain in my brain like carvings on a stone wall.

the bright light. the tall silhouette. the look on his face.

it's all too much.

"so, jane, what's your new schedule like?" dustin cuts my thoughts off with his lispy exclamation as both he and will run over to me in excitement. I had recently changed my classes in order to take both AP drawing & painting and sociology, both classes I was actually thoroughly interested in. AP bio was becoming too much of a bad memory since the day of the closet, so I'd decided to drop it. plus, I hated biology with a burning passion, anyways.

I hand the slip of paper to my two friends with a meek smile on my face. they take it with assertion as the two beam at the typed words on the limp piece of paper. and then their faces fall.

"dang it, nothing," will mutters as he grabs the slip from dustin and shoves it back to me.
"yeah, me neither," dustin groans. I frown at the two altruistic boys as I shove the schedule back into my book bag.
"aw, that sucks guys," I groan, "I'm terrible at making new friends."
"doesn't everybody?" will replies as the three of us begin striding down the halls together.

"3 'o clock," dustin suddenly interrupts, diverting the conversation. I peer over at my right to find mike and max walking a few feet away from us, his arm around her shoulder and her own clutching his waist, a smile on both of their faces. will gives an eye roll and dustin reciprocates, the two looking over at me for a glimpse of my own reaction. all I can muster is a sigh and a shrug.

he's different now, I tell myself.

he's not the boy I fell in love with.

why should I care?

⋆⋆⋆

my knee bounced up and down furiously as I gazed up at the big analog clock that hung above the teacher's desk.

tik. tik. tik. tik.

"2:59," I whispered under my breath, as I watched the red hand glide effortlessly around the rounded numbers.

rrriiiiiinnngg! rrriiiiiiiiinnnngg!

I gathered my things as fast as I could and walked out of the classroom door with no time to spare.

since mike and I had stopped talking, school just wasn't something I had been looking forward to anymore.

I used to wake up every morning with a reason. a purpose. a motivation to walk into the tiled halls and by the rows of lockers every day. that purpose was seeing a big toothy smile and a mop of black curls each time I approached the upper stairwell on the east side of the school. but now that purpose was off, probably making out with max mayfield in another broom closet, smoking cigarettes and going to parties as any other teenager would.