⁷⁾ say it aint so

[MAX POV.]

something is bubbling behind my back, this bottle is ready to blow !

CHAPTER SEVEN.

⋆⋆⋆

I COULDN'T completely decipher why I was so goddamn pissed lately.

but frankly, I had a general idea.

I tended to like people who liked me. It was just how I worked. learning about wheeler's feelings for me still having stayed after all this time, at first, shocked me. why wouldn't they? the dumbass tried to kiss me out of the blue. how else could i have reacted?

but after about a week of ignoring both him and jane, I realized that it was happening again. these damn feelings.

they weren't anything serious, of course. I've never really been serious about liking anyone since that git back in california cheated on me. but they were feelings. feelings I knew well.

I'd always thought that jane and mike would've gotten together by now. we all did. mike may be blind as fuck, but to the rest of the group, it was something out in the open- something visible to any eye. perhaps every eye besides wheeler's.

but it'd been a few years now, and still, nothing had happened. nothing had progressed. and honestly, I really missed being in a relationship.

so when I felt that small pinch in the bottom of my stomach after seeing the two of them play mom and dad at the lunch table- I knew. wheeler was yet again the perfect candidate.

believe me, I don't love myself for always toying with him like this. it sucks, especially seeing jane so upset. she was my first friend at this shit hole, but as of late we'd drifted apart, so I suppose it just didn't matter as much now.
as for wheeler, of course I felt bad. but I was in a slump. what else to do?

lucas caught up to me after I'd stormed out.
truthfully, I was hoping it'd be wheeler who I'd get alone, but whatever works.

"hey, you okay?" he asked me cautiously, striding towards me with hesitant timely steps.
I shrugged and gave him a half smile. "somewhat," I breathed.

lucas was always a good guy. even though I was expecting someone else, I suppose I should've put my money on sinclair to come make sure I'm okay. after all, I did tell him about the kiss first.

"why'd you storm out?" he asked, leaning on the lockers beside me.
"I don't know," I said crossing my arms, "I guess I just got a little jealous."
"Jealous?"
"do you need me to define it for you?"
he let out a laugh and shook his head slightly.
"I thought you never really felt that way about wheeler," he questioned.
"maybe I do, maybe I don't."
"so which is it?"

I didn't know how to explain it to him.

"you know me, right?" I asked, tilting my head.
"well...yeah," he replied, obviously confused on the conversation's direction.
"then you know that once I'm aware someone likes me, I like them back."
"so that's what this is."
"yup."

he chuckled in disbelief and tucked his hands in his hoodie pockets.

"so if I were to say I like you right now, you'd like me back?"

I thought about this for a moment. It was hard to say- I'd never thought of lucas like that. yet, looking at him now, I'd realized how much he'd grown up since I first met him. His voice was deeper, he was taller, his skin was smoother- what could I say? he wasnt bad.

On second thought, he was pretty cute.

"yeah, I probably would," I replied confidently, giving him a smirk.

I watched as his dark eyes widened slightly at my answer, and then he scoffed.

"whatever, you're crazy."
"crazy for you, babe," I said sarcastically, twirling my hair in the most dramatic way possible. he chuckled at this, putting his arm over my shoulder.
"let's go back, the rest are probably pissed at the both of us."
"both of us? what'd you do now?" I raised my eyebrows in question.
"just defended you. kind of aggressively," he muttered

"sinclair, my hero."

⋆⋆⋆

hi this is really short but I wanted to upload a quick chapter of Max's POV so you can try to get a glimpse into her motivations and also her relationship with lucas (wink wonk) but yeah she's kind of a villain atm but you'll end up liking her later even thought I hate her rn lol, I'll upload a real chapter through mike's POV soon!! thank you for #26 in mileven btw :")

don't forget to comment, vote and follow

-sonorabee