Chapter 3: Breaking News

Ashton's blood ran cold. "I don't have a father..." he said with a bitterness that sent chills down Anne's spine.

Paul reached out to put his hand on Ashton's shoulder, but Ashton took a step back. He sighed heavily and put his arm back down at his side. "I know this is hard for you to under-"

"No, nothings hard for me to understand, you ran out on us before I was even born so cut the bullshit! What I don't get is why mum and I are here," Ashton's glare never left Paul's face studying his every move.

Anne was shocked at her son's sudden outburst. "Ashton, I've never said that he ran out on us."

"You said he had things he had to do and that was obviously more important to him than taking care of me and if I'm so fucking important to him, why now? Why not sooner? I've never even heard his name before and you're going to sit here and pretend that everything is all fine and dany?" Ashton was fumming. He kicked his bag now and threw his fists around in a mad attemp to escape his own fears. "You made me leave the love of my life, everything I've ever known, all my friends, and the only town I've ever lived in to meet a man who has no meaning in my life? I've done just fine without him. Why now?"

Paul's face was sollem, "Ashton, I'm sorry for never being there for you, but you have to understand this is bigger than you and me and your mum. It's more than us."

"Right, I don't want to hear your excuses," Ashton spat at him. "Why an American for God's sake mum? Stupid jerks who all abandon their children. I thought you had more sense than that!"

"You won't talk to your mother like that!" Paul grew angry. "She deserves your respect for raising you all on your own and she did a damn good job too!"

Anne was crying now and Micheal moved to her side comforting her. He had been a quiet observer of the whole thing. Her crying grew from silent tears to loud sobbing as the argument grew bigger.

"Yea! She did it all alone! Without you! So why don't you stay out of my life! I've been just fine without you!" Ashton was shaking because he was so angry. He turned swiftly and began to run for the door before Paul caught his arm.

"Don't walk away from me, boy! Apologize to her and then go to your room!" Paul's grip was tight on Ashton's arm.

"Oh," his face became sincere turning to his mother, "I'm sorry mum, I love you." He said this in a smooth voice looking directly at his mother and Paul loosened his grip just enough for Ashton to slip out of it.

Michael's eyes were sad as he watch Ashton and he pittied the boy. "I'm sorry," he mouthed to Ashton but he didn't see because he hung his head now.

Ashton turned his back to Paul, "Which room is mine?" Ashton said with his back still to Paul.

"Up the stairs and to the left," Paul said tiredly. "Ashton, listen-" but Ashton already had his bags in hand and was running up the stairs to his room.

Michael's nerves eased, but he never left Anne's side so she knew he was there. Anne looked at Michael with tears in her eyes, "Thank you," she mumbled. He kissed her wet cheak and picked her bags up. He left the room silently taking her belongings up to the master bedroom.

"Anne," Paul walked towards her. She glanced at him letting the tears continue. "Come here, dear." He sat on the loveseat in the parlor and patted the seat next to him. She slowly walked to him and collapsed on the spot he had just welcomed her to. He wrapped his arms around her and let her cry into his neck. He kissed her forhead letting the tears soak into his flannel shirt.

/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/

Ashton threw his bag at the wall and fell on the ground crying. "I hate this place," he whimpered. For ten minutes, Ashton laid there, pittying himself.

Michael dropped Anne's bags in the masterbedroom. As he passed Ashton's room to go downstairs he heard Ashton's heartbreaking sobs muffled barely. Michael walked closer to the door and sat listening for a moment before tapping on the door.

"Go away," Ashton's muffled voice came through the door.

Michael cracked the door and peered in to see Ashton on the floor. Without a word, Michael stepped in and crouched down next to Ashton on the floor laying his hands on Ashton's arm. Ashton jumped surprised but relaxed seeing it was Michael. He continued to sob letting Michael comfort him. Eventually they shifted and Ashton was curled up in Michael's lap and his sobs had almost completely stopped.

Ashton wipped his eyes and nose and looked up at Michael suddenly very aware of the situation. "I-I'm so- sorry," he stuttered.

"Sorry for what? This is all new to you. I'm sorry you have to go through things like this," Michael's understanding made Ashton's heart skip a beat.

"Thanks..." Ashton sat up and looked at Michael taking in his full appearance again. "Why are you being so nice to me? I was rude to you and you don't even know me."

Michael thought for a moment, tilting his head side ways and looking to the ceiling as if a little angel hung above him telling him what to say next. He smiled wide catching Ashton's eye. "Because I know what it's like to have everything change within a few short days," he looked directly at Ashton now his smile fading slightly noticing Ashton's stare. "What? Do I have a booger or something?" Michael said wiping his face.

Ashton let out a laugh, "No, no! I was just thinking. Sorry....I drifted."

Michael sighed in releif. "Pheww! I thought I just embarrassed myself infront of this really good looking guy, that would be devistating." Michael caught Ashton's look of shock and thought about what he had just said. "Oh my god, did I afend you? I was just, yea okaay, thats my cue to leave. I'm sorry." Michael quickly stood and ran out the door leavin Ashton on the floor confused and wishing he had stopped him.