Chapter 2: Senses

After Luke and Ashton said their goodbye's, Ashton was on his way to smaller things. Ashton threw his duffel bag in the trunk along with his mother's briefcase and suitcase. His mom had told Ashton to pack small lightly because she was going to buy him all new things where they were going, which Ashton had no clue of.

"Mum?" Ashton said trying to get his mother's attention.

"Hmm?" She hummed thinking to herself of the wonderful new life her and her son would have.

"Where are we going anyways? You haven't told me. You haven't even told me why we're leaving." He questioned her trying to keep his voice from wavering. He had told Luke the exact same thing his mum had told him. She had said it was too dangerous to tell anyone, even himself.

"Well, at the moment we are on our way to the airport." She glanced over at him with a giant smile.

He sighed and looked out the window as they pulled up to the giant airport that would take them, god knows where.

/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/-/

What felt like ages, it had only been hours. Ashton checked his phone when the plane landed, switching it off airplane mode. It chimmed with missed calls and text messaages all from Luke. It was 1 a.m. in Australia but the sun had just hit high point where ever he had landed. He wanted to run back on the plane he came off of so he could fly home. The people he had seen getting off the plane were rude and busted past him bumping shoulders without apologizing. He searched for signs and saw one that was held high above peoples heads by someone's hands.

It read: "Welcome to America Ashton and Anne Marie!"

Ashton's eyes grew wide at the sign. America? He thought. I'm so far away from home. His heart started to beat faster. There goes any chance of visiting Luke on the holidays.

They reached the hands that had held the sign with Ashton's name written across it. The hands were gruff, like hard working hard. They were callused and blistered. The hands were attached to arms that seemed built as if they could easily lift 100 pound bags of feed. A red flannel shirt craweled across the man's shoulders. "Hello Ashton," a firm voice said. The man held out his rough hand, "I'm Michael."

Ashton's grabbed his hand, trying to make his grip hard so he didn't seem week. "I guess you already know me..." Ashton's voice trailed off.

"Ms. Anne Marie! It's so good to see you again," Micheal said wrapping his arms around Ashton's mum's shoulders. Michael thought for a moment when he pulled out of the embrace, not letting go of her shoulders. He made a quick once over of Ashton before releasing Anne's shoulders. "You're right, we have our work cut out for us." Anne Marie and Micheal laughed lightly.

"Michael, I really do need your help though. I'm worried for him," Anne's voice was sincere and very serious.

Ashton's face grew hot. "Mum, I'm right here. Don't talk about me like I'm still on that plane." Anne's face paled at her son's scolding. "What's going on here?" Ashton was tired of being pulled here and there, not being told anything.

Michael was the first to speak, "Perhaps we should take this conversation elsewhere." He gestured to the black car waiting at the base of the airport gate. The windows were completely blacked out and small red, white, and blue flags flew slightly on the back antenna.

Ashton slid into the back of the car next to his mum. Michael got into the drivers seat. "To the house?"

Anne answered quickly, "Yes, can we hurry? I'm very tired even though it is only noon here."

Michael laughed slighty, "I can do that just for you, ma'am."

Ashton sighed and layed his head against the window closing his eyes to rest before another bomb exploded his world.

^Beep^

Luke: Where did u land?

Ashton: US....

^Beep^

Luke: wut? .-.

Ashton: Yea, tll me bout it....keep u posted

^Beep^

Luke: iloveyou ash

Ashton: iloveyou more lukey-bear

Luke: iloveyou most

Ashton's eyes fluttered shut watching trees and greenery pass his window.

Just as Ashton had dozed off to a sublte dream of him bck home watching movies wth Luke, curled up on his bed, he was jolted awake by Michael banging on hi car window. Ashton's heart pounded with the sudden urge to cry and throw things. He wanted to go home. he hadn't been here 24 hours let alone 3 hours and he already hated it here. Anne Marie caught Ashton's stressed looks and went to his side.

"You'll get used to it here, son. I promise," she said kissing his cheek. He let a tear roll down his cheek while he brought his hood up on his Hendrix hoodie.

Michael grabbed ll of the bags from the trunk and led the way up the front stairs of a mansion in the middle of nowhere. "Where the hell are we?" Ashton finally asked taking in the scenery around him. The air was fresh with the smell of crisp wheat and the ground was a soft brown which Ashton knew must be good for farming. Around the backside of the house you could see a giant orchard, some were apples and others peaches. There were vines on the side with thick lump grapes growing, weighing down the thin vines.

No one answered him. "Mum?"

"It's fine Ashton, we'll talk about it in a moment." Anne's voice never wavered. She was sure of everything she said.

They walked through the front door and Michael dropped the luggage in what seemed to be a parlor. The old fashioned architechture gave Ashton a weird feeling of comfort, almost like it was home, but Ashton didn't want to feel comfortable here. This wasn't his home. He would leave here one day to go back to Australia. He would marry Luke one day.

That's what he hoped anyways.

Michael finally spoke. "Ashton, this is Master Higgins." A tall man with broad shoulders and short cut hair walked into the room. His clothes didn't match the old french house at all, just like Michael's. Ashton was started to grasp the concept that they were farmers.

"Michael, what the hell?" Higgins said with a chuckle.

Michael busted out laughing and quickly smoothed himself out. "That was a joke, Ashton. You're supposed to laugh."

Ashton became even more unneasy. How was he supposed to know anything about this place and these strangers. He didn't even know why here was here. "Right..." Ashton said trying to muster up a small laugh.

Michael cleared his throat at the awkward tension, "This is Paul Higgins. he owns this house. He is my employer. He-"

"Thanks Michael, I can take it from here," Paul said putting his hand on Michael's shoulder. Michael loosened up and stepped back. "You must be Ashton. It's nice to finally meet you," he said with a giant smile spreading across his face. It gleamed just like the rest of his tan body.

"Now that we know names, would you mind telling me why the fuck I'm here?" Ashton wasn't really in the mood for pleasantries.

Paul's face dropped as he switched his gaze from Ashton to Ashton's mum. "You haven't told him?"

"Well...I...I-umm..." she stuttered.

"Told me what?!" Ashton was getting angry now. He was tired of being talked about like he wasn't there.

Anne looked at her son with sincerity in her eyes, "Ash, this is your father."

Ashton froze.