Chapter 8: The Binding Ring

Start from the beginning

  "I'm sure he'll warm up to you. You just have to drop your act," He says softly.

  I bite my lower lip. "No, I can't, Jem. You know why."

  Jem sighs. Before he can say anything, though, Will enters the carriage, slipping in beside Jem.

  "Well, are we ready?"

  Jem slowly draws back from me. "Yes. Take us back to the Institute, please, Thomas."

  Then he turns to Will, an exasperated look on his face. "Must you always start a fight with Gabriel?"

  I mentally sigh.

  Will half shrugs. "He started it." Then he looks at me. "You two seemed touchy."

  My eyes narrow. "Are you jealous, Herondale?"

  Jem smiles, looking out the carriage window.

  Will shrugs indifferently. "Merely curious."

  "Is there a particular reason you keep biting vampires?" Jem cuts in.

  Will touches the dried blood on his wrist, and smiles. "They don't expect it."

  I hide a smile, looking out the window.

  "I told you, Jem."

  Jem ignores me. "Of course they don't. They know what happens when one of us consumes vampire blood. They probably expect you to have more sense."

  "That expectation never seems to serve them very well, does it?" Will says.

  My eyes suddenly fasten on something in the distance.

  "Thomas," I call. "I would like to be dropped off here."

  The carriage stops. Jem eyes me. He peers out of the window.

  "Honestly, Ella? Now?" Jem says, apprehension in his tone.

  I wave a hand in dismissal. "Everyone in the Institute would be bustling about Tessa and her poor Brother," I say, voice dripping in sarcasm. "I, on the other hand, don't want to be part of some dramatic episode of the London Institute."

  I throw the carriage door open and hop out. "I'll be back before midnight."

Then I dash off, into the night. I run and run and run. Run until I reach the house. I place a hand on the door and it swings open.

I step into the quiet house, pain aching in my chest.

"Mum. . ." I whisper hoarsely. "Mum why would you go?"

I head to a picture of the family. Of my family. Falling to my knees, I let out a cry.

I refused to let myself cry since the Dark Sisters entered my house and slaughtered my mum. I've never cried. Not since my Father taught me not to.

Now, tears fall freely. I feel a hand on my shoulder, and a hand goes straight to my boot, unsheathing my knife and bringing it to the person's throat.

I suck in a breath. "Who are you?"

  "Caspian's messenger," The man says. "He gives you a gift. A binding gift. Wear it, and you feel his pain, his happiness. All of it. You cannot take it off."

  "Tell me," I say softly. "Where is he?"

  "That I cannot, young Ella," The man says. "Take the gift."

  He then lifts my hand and places a ring in my hand, closing my fingers around it.

  "A binding to Caspian," The man whispers, and turns, leaving.

  I look down at the ring. It is a mixture of dark purple and dark blue, glowing slightly. Beautiful. There is an elegant C carved into it, along with an E, interlacing with each other.

  I take in a shuddering breath, slipping the ring on my right ring finger. The ring fastens itself on my slim finger, fitting perfectly. On my left ring finger is my family ring. The ring of Nightstorm.

~

  I climb the stairs to the attic, exhaustion filling me. I look up only when I hear voices. My eyes widen in amusement.

  "Well, this is terribly awkward," I say, laughter bubbling in me.

  Tessa and Will spring apart. They were sitting rather dangerously close together.

  "Who is it?" Will demands.

  I feel my ring. It glows a light colour. Of course. There is witchlight in it. The light illuminates me.

  "Tessa," I greet, grinning childishly, keeping up the act. I'm sure he'll warm up to you. You just have to drop the act.

  "Ella," Tessa breathes out, blushing furiously. "I-I best get going."

  Tessa stands and hurries out, not looking at me as she rushes out of the room. Will watches her, eyes longing, before leaning his head against the wall behind. His hair is wet. Probably from Holy Water.

  "What is it you want, Nora?"

  The nickname stuns me. No one's called me that before. But I understand why. I walk into the room, examining Will. He certainly is gorgeous. But he hides a secret. A dark dark secret he has kept hidden for far too long.

  "You were about to kiss Tessa," I say, making my voice sound amused. "You were about to open up your feelings to her. Not very wise, don't you think, considering your whole situation."

  Will tenses. "Situation?"

  I bend down in front of him, getting on one knee, leaving a respectable distance between us.

  "Your curse, am I wrong?" I say innocently. "Anyone who shall love you will die."

  Will's eyes snap up to mine. "How? How do you know?" His voice is deadly.

  I smirk. "I pieced it together. The way you act, why you left. You played with something you didn't understand. You unleashed a demon. It cursed you. It is why you push everyone away, is it not? It killed your sister."

  Will acts more quickly than I imagined he would. His hand flies up and his fingers curl around my throat.

  I let out a mirthless laugh. "So I am right."

  "Who told you?"

  "That, Liam, is for me to know and you to find out," I say. "Do release me."

  "What. Do. You. Want?"

  "A proposition. You don't want to hurt Tessa. Yet, you can't seem to push yourself away from her," I say, bringing a hand up to encircle his wrist. His skin is feverishly hot. I lightly push his hand away from me.

  "I don't understand," Will whispers.

  "I will help you," I say slowly. "Make sure you keep your distance. Make sure you don't be a fool. I will get Tessa to keep her distance."

  Will is silent for a long time, and my ring glows a light red. Anger. I feel anger. Not mine. Caspian's.

  A binding to Caspian.

  It aches in my chest. An essence of anger. Red.

  "What do you want in exchange?" Will finally croaks out.

  I touch the ring on my finger lightly. "I need you to help me find someone. Find Caspian."

  Will's eyes meet mine. His hair is plastered to his forehead. His eyes wild. His skin hot.

  "We have a deal, Eleanora Nightstorm."