Having Henry

Chapter 7: Having Henry

His smile was so contagious that it’s irritating.

“Oh this? Nothing, just some dried sage and thyme leaves. Some salt too.” I said, rummaging the brown bag’s contents. I honestly wanted this conversation to end even before it started. Why didn’t I just watch where I was going so I could’ve avoided bumping in to the prick?

“Those are pretty weird.” He commented. “What are you up to?” He asked.

“Um, nothing. Hey I really need to go. I guess I’ll see you around.” I said as I started to walk towards my apartment that’s still twenty minutes of brisk walk away.

“You know, I was just wondering.” He said and I instinctively turned around to face him. “You know my cousin went back to Ireland for a vacation just this afternoon and I think he accidentally brought the keys to my apartment with him. He’d be back after a week. I asked Lady Brigit if she has a spare key but she doesn’t.” He said, walking towards me.

“Oh that’s awful. So where are you staying?” I asked in sincere concern.

“Honestly, I don’t know. I left my wallet inside so I can’t just go and hire a lock picker. That’s why I was wondering if I could stay in your apartment for just a night and maybe borrow some cash for my lock picker. I promise I’ll pay you the moment my apartment’s open.” He said, practically begging.

I didn’t want anything to do with this guy. But who am I to say no and let him wander around at this time.

It’s getting dark and gloomy. A faint sound of thunder came into my auditory and this signals rain. It was then that I remembered what Madame Moreaux has told me before I left her shop. 'Find a friend in your apartment area or school, you need an outlet for all these crazy new adventure that you’re in.’

Maybe this is it. I don’t have a lot of friends in the University. Not even in my apartment where I lived for two years. Maybe we can be friends. He doesn’t seem to be a horrible person after all.

“Sure. Of course you can.” I said while patting him in the back. “I know this old guy from a watch repair shop and his son picked my lock before when I left my keys inside my car. We can go there tomorrow.” I offered.

“Wow geez, thanks. But don’t you have class tomorrow?” He asked.

“Yes but I have my medical certificate signed so I don’t have to go to school until Wednesday. Have you had dinner already?” I asked, wanting to treat him for dinner.

“No, I haven’t but I don't wa...”

“Great, there’s this new burger stall and they have the best fries and onion rings. It’s just there around the corner. You’d love it, there’s beer too.” I said, holding his elbow so I don’t lose him in the crowd.

“That’s really racist.” He said, giggling.

And then again, seeing him like that makes me mimic what he’s doing. “No, I just mentioned that they serve beer and you might like it.” We started walking and I can see the burger stall from afar.

“Nahh, you think I drink a lot of beer because I’m Irish.”

“No. So do you think I only eat tacos because I’m Mexican?”

“You’re Mexican? You don’t look like one.” He said in surprise.

“Well I’m half. My mom is Mexican.”

“Oh I see it now. That’s why you have black hair and brown eyes while your dad is blond and has blue eyes.” He said and I wonder where he met my dad.