The Irish

2. The Irish

“Where at Madame?” The cab driver asked in a thick Hispanic accent. I told him my Apartment address while making myself comfortable at the back seat. Gosh I need a bath. I can smell the hospital even inside the cab.

“Oh my Gosh! I am so sorry I didn’t know this cab was already hired. I’m so sorry Mr.” I panicked when I saw an old balding man on the front seat. The cab driver just looked at me, seemingly not knowing of what I’m talking about. “Look it’s okay, I’ll just hail another cab.” I said as I opened the door and jumped out. “Have a nice day to the both of you.”

I took the next cab that formed a beeline behind the hired one that I hijacked and made sure it was just me and the driver. I told him my apartment address and he drove me without asking questions. I noticed the bleached clean scent of the hospital was gone now and I didn’t forget to compliment the driver about how soothing his orange scent freshener can be. He thanked me, but suddenly, maybe out of curiosity, he asked. “Why did you switch cabs?”

“Oh it was already hired.” I answered.

“No, kid it wasn’t. If it was hired the line should’ve moved half an hour ago.” He said, looking at me through the mirror.

“You know what mister, I saw the old man sitting right there. He even had money on his hands. I’m sure you just missed it when he got on that cab before me.” I said, pulling out my wallet as we were getting nearer my apartment.

He pulled over and I thanked him. “Keep the change, it’s a beautiful day.”

“Good Morning Miss Scotch” The guard greeted me with a big smile.

“Good Morning too Alejandro, and to you too little Alejandro.” I winked at the little boy in the security desk. He’s a spitting image of Alejandro the security guard. “What’s your name?” I asked, the little boy.

“I’m Jose, I’m seven.” His dark brown eyes lit up.

“I didn’t ask the age but, Hi Jose. If you need anything just go to 309.” I waved at the kid and walked toward the elevator. Alejandro has been nice to me since I got here in this Apartment building, it’d be great if I do the same to him. I pressed the up button and waited for the numbers to go down and reach the ground floor.

“Carmen you brat, what just happened back there?” The landlady Brigit pulled my messed up ponytail. I’m used to this, this old lady just loves me too much.

“I was just being nice to Jose.” I defended myself.

“You insensitive brat. Alejandro’s son passed away two weeks ago!” She scolded me but I don’t see the connection between being nice to a kid and Alejandro’s son passing away. Well maybe he had two sons, or Jose isn’t his son because that one sure is a live one right there in a camping uniform. The elevator pinged open.

“My condolences Lady Brigit. And please, offer the seven year old some homemades. You’re the one who’s insensitive.” I entered the elevator door and pushed the close button before I could hear her rants.

“That old hag never changes am I right deary?” An old woman spoke, startling me in the process. “She’s been like that since 1999 since she lost her sister.”

“Oh that’s awful.” That’s all I could say as my eyes caught the same string of pearl necklace around the old woman’s neck as Lady Brigit. They also have the same dull blue eyes. It's really nice that even if they're old they still visit eachother from time to time. Maybe she's Lady Brigit's younger cousin or something.

“Tell Brigit that Lucinda says hi.” She said as the elevator pinged open for me to exit. I stepped out and turned to say goodbye but the elevator was partly closed so I couldn’t see Lucinda.

I fished my keys on my handbag and plunged them in the key hole. At last I’m home. It was just two nights but it felt like forever. I took my heels off to savor the feel of my white woolen carpet that I just love so much. I kicked the door close and breathed in the scent of privacy. Oh the smell of Jasmine and fresh air. I closed my eyes and smiled while I dropped my coat to the floor. This is an introvert’s heaven.

My inner peace was then disturbed by a chuckle. I opened my eyes to look around my living room and there I see 308. “What the f… How did you get here?” I almost dropped my bag.

“You can see me 309?” He said, jumping from my white leather couch.

“Off course I can, now get out of my room or I’ll tell Lady Brigit that you were harassing me again!” I yelled at him.

“For the hundredth time Carmen Scotch, I was helping you with those massive books of yours when my hand slipped. It was a bloody accident when my face found its way to your… breasts. And that was a year ago. Won’t you forget it?” His smug Irish accent just won’t go away.

“Hey shut the f… up 308, you were drunk that time. Oh that’s right, ‘caus yow Oirish!” I yelled at him and mimicked his Irish accent. I threw my bag at him but I turned to open the door again before I knew if it hit him or not. I hope it did. “Get out 308.” I commanded, raising a brow.

“That. That just now. That was racist, but your fake Irish voice was bloody awesome.” He said pointing a finger at me while he walks out my door. He winked.

“Beat it! Or the next bloody thing would be your face!” I yelled and banged the door close in his face.

I can hear him laughing outside.